Is the AMD R9 380X still worth buying?

MadmanRB

In Runtime
With the recent launch of both the NVIDIA GTX 1060 and the AMD RX 490 this kind of seems like a bad idea as both cards are priced for only $50 more however there is a severe supply problem with them.
Seems everywhere people are buying them causing some retailers to mark up both cards way past what they are worth.
Both amazon and newegg have the AMD RX 490 marked up at $400!
VisionTek Radeon RX 480 DirectX 12 900888 PCI Express 3.0 x16 POLARIS EDITION Video Card - Newegg.com
And the GTX 1060 is near impossible to find, the only one I found is here marked up like crazy of course!
https://www.amazon.com/GeForce-STRI...=UTF8&qid=1469460647&sr=1-8&keywords=gtx+1060

Yeah cant afford that

So I think I will throw in the towel and get last generations AMD card and hope for the best
Here is the model I am considering
ASUS Radeon R9 380 STRIX-R9380-DC2OC-4GD5-GAMING 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Newegg.com

I did see this card but its got some people saying that XFX didnt do a good job on it:
XFX Radeon R9 380X R9-380X-4255 4GB 256-Bit DDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support DD XXX OC Video Card - Newegg.com

This one looks better but its $30 more
XFX Radeon R9 380X R9-380X-45E5 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card - Newegg.com
and I dont know if spending more than $200 on last generations card is a good idea... probably not so i want to keep this around $200
the $209.99 is just right methinks but I know nothing of the brand

I do still want a nice GPU for my birthday this year, with only a month away and only a small budget to consider I have to go what with I can afford.
My birthday is in September but the way things look I wont be able to get any of the new GPU's anytime soon with supply and demand being so crazy right now.
If I can find the other cards at the right price then yes I will get them, but doesnt look like that will be the case and I will be lucky to purchase them on doomsday.

Now I know there are other cards for around the same budget but my limit is going to be around $250
So something like this is okay but is as far as i can go, and I have to watch my money right now.
https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GAMING-G...=UTF8&qid=1469468633&sr=1-14&keywords=GTX+970

Last edited:
For last gen cards it's a bit daft to buy new when 980s go used for like 200-250.

You're a bit early for the new cards and you'll need to wait till next month if you want one. 250 being the max leaves a 1060 out of budget but Newegg isn't pricing the 480 too high, that was a 3rd party seller. You can get a 4GB 480 for 199 when they come back in stock and bios flash to 8GB.

SAPPHIRE Radeon RX 480 100406-4GL 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card - Newegg.com

Its more what I can get really, but still is the R9 380X viable enough if I really had to get one?
I know newer cards will be better for sure but I have to consider the matter that the RX 480 may not be available.
I am just looking for "good enough" and from what I have seen it does look like the R9 380X is still decent but I am still looking for second opinions.
Trust me if I had the money i would so buy the 1060 if I could find one that is but pricing is just insane right now and by the time I may be able to get one of these the next card will come out.
I am just prepared just in case, it doesnt look like the R9 380X is a bad card really... I just wish I could do better for the money.

Also how about this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131687

Last edited:
Those 380x's you're linking are still basically MSRP. Think of a 380x like a 7970 on crack, it's still slower than a 290 if that puts a perspective on things. The 480 JUST came out, give it a little bit of time. The only Nvidia card coming out soon is the new Titan X, and the next AMD card isn't supposed to be announced until at least October which will be over a $250 budget.

Why not getting a used 970 off Amazon?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-lis...479194&sr=1-4&keywords=gtx+980&condition=used

If something is wrong with the card within 15 days Amazon will back the purchase.

Yeah I am just a little wary buying used, rather buy new even if the 970 might be better.
I like to have things like manufacturers warranties and the like, i think you understand.
If I am gonna blow $200 on something I want a safety net and newegg does offer a replacement plan.
Sure thats another $30 but its money well spent if things go pear shaped.

Last edited:
Yeah I am just a little wary buying used, rather buy new even if the 970 might be better.
I like to have things like manufacturers warranties and the like, i think you understand.
If I am gonna blow $200 on something I want a safety net and newegg does offer a replacement plan.
Sure thats another $30 but its money well spent if things go pear shaped.

Then buy a used EVGA brand; EVGA allows transfer of warranty from the original purchaser to a secondary buyer once.

Well thats good to know, I never bought EVGA so I wouldnt know.
What kind of warranty do they offer then?
If reasonable then yeah I will go for the 970 PP Mguire mentioned.
But you can understand some wariness on my part can you?
Money is kind of an issue for me, while I wont be starving to death anytime soon I still got some bills to pay on the side.
And I dont want that $200 to go to a paperweight.

Sigh, seriously dude? Why didn't you just wait until September? I'm really not trying to be a dick but talking about cards not available then making it seem like you want to purchase right now is a total waste of time. By the time September comes you'll be able to easily get a new RX480.

Back
Top Bottom