PC Won't Boot

Ahhh, you have a gigabyte MB. I do not see a light on it, so it is unknown if the board is getting power from the PS. I have a few questions though:

1- On the bios boot screen, the last wording was 'Boot from CD/DVD Rom:', was there anything after that?
2- after you enabled SMART, did the system boot to the bios screen again, or did it stop from there on? Does any action at all occur once the power button is hit?

Last edited:
Nope, nothing after "boot from cd"
After I enabled SMART, i physically turned it off. It stopped turning on or doing anything at that point. 100% nothing when I hit the power button. No noise, no lights, nothing at all.

That is weird. resetting the CMOS will not do you any good as the system is obviously not getting any power. Two things to look for in this case would be the power supply, or the motherboard. It does not make sense though that either fried through a simple update. Changing both is a piece of cake, however, I would check out the PS first as that would be the easiest. The PS hooks up to the MB in two locations, the 24-pin power connector and the 12v 4-pin adapter in the top left hand corner. Everything else is plugged into your external pieces (HDD, CD Roms, higher end Graphics cards). Just make note out of everything that you unplugged, attach the other PS and attach it the same way.

If you do get power back, make sure that you go back in the bios and have SMART disabled.

Ugh way more than I'm comfortable doing. I will probably end up sending it back to my friend in Oregon who built it and let him deal with it. Thanks :)

Ugh way more than I'm comfortable doing. I will probably end up sending it back to my friend in Oregon who built it and let him deal with it. Thanks :)
Lol, good plan! If he is a friend, it probably would not hurt to be there and watch him as you would be surprised how simple computers really are. The next time you have issues, you can probably do the work yourself with some research.
Cheers, and good luck, I hope that everything will be running for you.

Thanks. I am in Chicago and he is in Oregon so I can't watch him do anything. I am going to call a local place in walking distance I found on Yelp at the beginning of the month. I am hoping it will be a simple fix. If it isn't it has to go back to Oregon. I'll keep ya posted. :)

It would really be interesting to see the results. Hopefully, it is nothing serious. If it is, get a second opinion as most computer repair shops will soak you with inflated labour rates, like charging 2-3 hours for a 15-30 minute fix.

Yea if it's going to be over $50 I'll send it to Oregon. I'm on a fixed income & I need to save money to move out of state next year so I can't afford to do much. If it's going to be a 3 digit fix, it's going to have to wait until after I move.

Look on newegg.com for a cheap power supply tester, I got one a while back for around $15 so it will at least let you know if that's dead or not.

Back
Top Bottom