Time for a new web server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discusman

In Runtime
I'm using a PII 400 as my web server for the past 8 months.

The server has a broken onboard soundcard and video conflict. It crashes very often lately. Many times my website users couldn't post a thread in my discussion forum due to a system failure.

I'm thinking about getting a new box.

Do I go for a new Dell Desktop or a Dell Poweredge Server? My website doesn't have alot of traffic daily. I guess I may not need a super fast server.

I couldn't tell the difference between a Dell desktop and a Dell server hardware wise.

Could someone shed some light on it? Thanks.

If you a running a small website, server specs shouldn't really matter too much. It doesn't have to be ultra fast and as long as it has a decent amount of memory, it should run fine, providing of course, that the hardware inside the box is behaving.

So for a new server for what you require: Custom build one with parts from your local shop. You shouldn't need to break the bank, and should find that you will be able to build one for what you want, at a low price.

Another option would be to go with a hosting company who take care of everything for you. But that doesn't give you the fun and enjoyment of building and maintaining your own server :)

I'd try and be more helpful, but it's 6am here hehe

Tell me how you get on :)

Edit: Missed the whole point of this post haha. To be honest, i'm not entirely sure what the difference is. I've never been a fan of Dell's products. I'm guessing the powedge is a rack mountable server and the 'Desktop' is a desktop server, pretty much like whta you already have, but with a few added extras.

you could go for some xp SMP certified processors in a tyan dual cpu mobo, 2 gigs of RAM, i think they sell some tyan dual cpu mobos with onboard audio/sound... good luck.

A Dell 2.8Ghz with 256mb ram and 80gb hd is only cost $360 (free shipping). I think this one is good enough for me.

No matter how would I look at it, it would cost more when I go for a custom built server.

You people do not like Dell computers? They are very cheap and reliable. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom