Hello all.Got a question.

Big Man

Beta member
Hello. I have a question worthy of a newbie.About 6-7 years ago I converted VHS and VHS-C tapes of home movies over to DVD-R and DVD+R discs.Recently the 2009-era Magnavox that I used for this was broken.When I went to play the DVD-R's in ANY other player they simply won't read the discs.I found the EXACT model of Magnavox on e-bay and ordered it and am eagerly awaiting it in the mail.However,using the analogy of a man not waiting until he is 100 feet from the ground before he waits to see if his parachute will open I am trying to cover all bases here.If for some reason the new Magnavox would NOT read the discs.What options do I have? I mean,I thought that it would but after reading horror stories about fickle booktypes,etc. on DVD players I am gun-shy.I tried 2 spanking new DVD players and the built-in security apparatus(to deter bootlegging) means it is just impossible with a new one.I would appreciate some info or help. Thanks.

What did you use to burn the DVD's?

Did they use to work in other players, or did you only ever try it on that single Magnavox?

Data rot is also an issue if the discs are stored improperly.

What did you use to burn the DVD's?

Did they use to work in other players, or did you only ever try it on that single Magnavox?

Data rot is also an issue if the discs are stored improperly.

I used the the VHS to DVD feature on the Magnavox and never played them on anything else.I doubt data rot is an issue as they were played very recently.The player(s) are the issue.

If they played fine on the Magnavox that you used to burn them...then my guess is you didn't choose the "Finalize" option when you burned them. "Finalizing" a disc writes an additional piece of info to the disc saying it that the end of the disc is there and it's not open for writing anymore, which allows other players other than the one that burned it to work.

Back
Top Bottom