Troubleshooting... a little bit of everything

mwwwilson

In Runtime
Need some advice... I have a computer that has an SSD for C: drive and an HDD for D: drive. The SSD was installed (not by me) for startup purposes only. However, it is almost full because this person would install software and allow it to write to the C: drive, by default I'm sure. So now this SSD that is the C: drive has folders like Program Files, Program Files x86, Users, Windows, and a few more. The D: drive also has folders with similar, or possibly the same, software installed. I need to get this SSD drive to startup windows (Win7 Ultimate) only.

How can I get everything else off without messing up any of his software? Windows is not owned... therefore I cannot just wipe the drive.

Another question... he wants to go to the free upgrade of Win10 but I cannot do that until I get space cleared away from the SSD. The SSD is like 120GB and it has 7GB left. His D: drive (the HDD) has over 400GB free. Can I download the Win10 to his D: drive and install it later to his C: drive (the SSD)?

One last question... is there a way to default your primary drive (for software) to point to the D: drive instead of the C: drive? This is what got him in trouble to begin with.

Thanks for any advice. I know that I know the answers to these questions but I am currently drawing a blank. For real.

Mark W.

Thank you very much.
Let me ask you this... why would there be program files and program files x86 on both C: and D: drives? They all have similar folders. Just curious. I am assuming that when he installed softwares that it defaulted to C:

So if this is true, do I need to instruct him to always change that target to D: drive? That is alot to ask of him. LOL

Thank you very much.
Let me ask you this... why would there be program files and program files x86 on both C: and D: drives? They all have similar folders. Just curious. I am assuming that when he installed softwares that it defaulted to C:

So if this is true, do I need to instruct him to always change that target to D: drive? That is alot to ask of him. LOL

They're probably on both for the reason you stated - during the software install, he chose to install onto the D: drive instead of the C: drive.

Changing the default drive requires registry edits:
How do you change the default Installation Directory in Windows 7 - Microsoft Community

Good question - would assume Win10 is similar enough to Win7 for that bit. I'd suggest doing more research first though.

Back
Top Bottom