Computer pros/techies come i need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lencho

Banned
well first i wanna know alot of things, im planning on purchasing a new computer...... and i wanna know if theres anything wrong with purchasing A Pentium® 4 Processor at 3GHz w/800MHz front side bus/ HT Technology(is a athlon better?),2GB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHz (2x512M) (should i get 2gb?) is a raid 0 faster than a hardrive with 8mb data cache ,7200 rpm,4.2 latency, and a 8 second spindle start time?oh and about how much memory is enough? i want to download about 600 songs, have like 15 high quality games... is 120 gb enough?what exactly is a 48x/24x/48x max cdr drive? Ok im planning on getting a an optical mouse, its not wireless, but is there any problems with optical mouses? whats better Crts or flat panels what do you prefer.My video card is a 128MB DDR ATI RADEON™ 9800 Graphics Card with TV-Out and DVI (should i get the 9800 radeon pro?) .is a Sound Blaster_ Audigy™2 sound card with DVD Audio a good card? My speaker system is a Altec Lansing THX Certified ADA995 Surround Sound 5.1 Speaker System will i have enough power for it if im custom making a dimension 8300 i cant find the specs to the power connecter thingy.OK if theres anything wrong with the xp home edition tell me now.... also if i get a comp with it can i uninstall the xp and install a windows 98.Now is a Integrated Intel® PRO 10/100 Ethernet any good, can you tell me benifts of it.Btw im planning on getting broadband.Will unreal 2 work on this computer.Should i trust dell, i dont like the imac comps operatng systems.I dont wanna ask a guy to custom make it if itsvgonna cost alot more.Also whats a twin motherboard?Is any of the geforce cards better than the Radeon 9800

athlon and p4......if you want raw speed, get an athlon, if you want general compatibility get p4. no comparison here,..both are good procs.

1gb of dual ddr is enough/sufficient..ddr is always the best..and cheaper than say...an rdram.

2 HD in a raid 0 will always be faster than 1 HD with the same HD spec.(hehehe...i think)

I have a around 1,000 mp3 collection, i have 20 games...120gb would store all that,..but just in case youre planning to make your own videos and store then in you hd...get a bigger HD.....

48x/24x/48x---write/rewrite/read speed. write on cdr...rewrite on cdrewritable. get good quality cdrs

in the case of optical mouses,...get a logitech..or any good brand optical

crt or lcd? hmmm...i had the same question a few weeks ago. for gaming,..its best to get a crt for image quality and resolution. IMO

get a radeon pro!

Audigy is the best!

Altec Lancing is one of the best PC/all around speakers...dont worry bout connectors..

Nothings wrong with windows xp,..except for bill gates.

if you have xp installed,..you'd have to reformat the HD...you should be alright..no prob in that area.

the ethernet is good,..one benefit is that it doesnt clutter your expansion slots.

unreal will work,..should be no problem.

dell,..is ok. but if you comfortable with your capabilities and skill,..just build your own pc

if you want customized pain jobs,..get a falconNW...they'll do it for you.

as of now,...radeon is actually on top of the race.

whew,..this was a long one,..im sorry if i sounded disinterested,..i actually had a hard time reading your post,..it would have been easier if you just enumerated...oh well...good luck with your pc...just remember thats these are only my optinion,..you have the final decision.

oh and btw,..i think twin motherboard ..is just two motherboards( heheh,..wasn't sure...i'm just letting my imagination do its work)

if you can't decide P4 or AMD you get what you pay for - P4's perform better but ot by much, AMD's are less expensive

i agree Radeon, Audigy, CRT, Logitech, DDR RAM, Altec Lancing are best

i suggest a Sony 52x24x52

and a DVD possibly LG, Sony or Pioneer.

get 2 HDD's but seperate, sometimes if you have half a file on one and the other half on the other it can screw up, and for backup reasons have 2. If you want better gaming use FAT32 file system, NTFS is slower

get a 350/400W Power Supply

get an ethernet card if your M/B doesn't come with it

if you don't like changing settings too much, use XP Home and if you do XP Pro.

I say build your own computer, Dell usually charge too high price even though their PC's are good.

actually with all hardware and blazing fast proc......i think a 450 watter or better would be sufficient,..it gives you that headroom for future upgardes,..you know what mean.

akoplipse whats a fat32? im not getting a dell im getting an area 51 at alienware.com it comes with a 420 watt power supply,thanks alot

fat32 is a harddrive filing system....along with ntfs.

before installing your operating system,..you have to format the HD,...you then have the option to format it with a fat32 filesystem or ntfs. in my opinion...ntfs is better than fat32...performance is still the same...if there is performance lag,..you won't even notice it since you have an alienware.

ok well how much cheaper is a home made comp with the same specs of my alien ware(justvmake a estimate.)?

man o man....its just cheaper bro. if money is not an issue,..then i'd say go for the big fish!

your right, one more queston lol... my dad knows ppl whatvwould custom make it about how much more would they charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom