Upgrading 2008 Build - OS Question

delirium330

In Runtime
Hey everyone, hoping I can get some input on an upcoming Win10 upgrade for my parents desktop.

Current Desktop Specs:

MB: GA-EP45-UD3R (I think this is it: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3013#sp)

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz

PS: Corsair TX650W

Ram: Unknown Brand, 4GB DDR2 (2x2) (4 slots DDR2 available in the MB)

Graphics Card: Unknown specs, but there is one there.

Other: Card Reader, DVD Drive, Wireless PCI Internet card, 500gb Western Digital Hard Drive

Use: Word processing, storage, internet

I've got everything backed up, ordered a 500GB Samsung SSD and Windows 10 64 bit OS. Questions:

1. I'm not sure if I can even run Win10 64 bit? Can someone confirm if that is possible with motherboard and processor I have?

2. This build is from 2008, what is the best way to upgrade any sort of drivers/bios or whatever for the motherboard if that is even needed?

3. Should I consider upgrading the RAM? What are my options there? Limited to DDR2?

Well until a whil ago I played a lot on an old 4gb Ddr2 core duo Q6600 pc. You have a decent processor, more than enough for What you do. The only problem is the limitation in upgrades within that same generation. The Ddr2 ram is more expensive in stores, and The speed is a lot lower. That board wont run ddr3 ( correct me If I am mistaken).
If you want to Spare money keep it the way it is. The ssd Will boost the speed a lot, and then when you get the oportunity upgrade for a 4th generation intel core i3 4170 or i5 4430, or even any other mid range processor. Get a low price Mobo like the h81 séries and 8 gigz of ram dd3. You should be good to go at a 200$ (max) upgrade.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, hoping I can get some input on an upcoming Win10 upgrade for my parents desktop.

Current Desktop Specs:

MB: GA-EP45-UD3R (I think this is it: GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 775 - GA-EP45-UD3R (rev. 1.1))

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz

PS: Corsair TX650W

Ram: Unknown Brand, 4GB DDR2 (2x2) (4 slots DDR2 available in the MB)

Graphics Card: Unknown specs, but there is one there.

Other: Card Reader, DVD Drive, Wireless PCI Internet card, 500gb Western Digital Hard Drive

Use: Word processing, storage, internet

I've got everything backed up, ordered a 500GB Samsung SSD and Windows 10 64 bit OS. Questions:

1. I'm not sure if I can even run Win10 64 bit? Can someone confirm if that is possible with motherboard and processor I have?

2. This build is from 2008, what is the best way to upgrade any sort of drivers/bios or whatever for the motherboard if that is even needed?

3. Should I consider upgrading the RAM? What are my options there? Limited to DDR2?
CPU depicts what OS you can run, in this case Intel has had 64bit chips since Pentium 4. No worries there.

Go to the motherboard manufacturer's site. Easiest way is to simply GOogle the model and it'll be the top site. Did it for you. You'll have to figure out what GPU is in it.

You're limited to DDR2, and can get some cheap DDR2 off Newegg if it requires more. If this is for your parents and all they do is browse the net, do email or whatever then 4GB should be fine. Check periodically to see if they are capping RAM, add as necessary.

Well until a whil ago I played a lot on an old 4gb Ddr2 core duo Q6600 pc. You have a decent processor, more than enough for What you do. The only problem is the limitation in upgrades within that same generation. The Ddr2 ram is more expensive in stores, and The speed is a lot lower. That board wont run ddr3 ( correct me If I am mistaken).
If you want to Spare money keep it the way it is. The ssd Will boost the speed a lot, and then when you get the oportunity upgrade for a 4th generation intel core i3 4170 or i5 4430, or even any other mid range processor. Get a low price Mobo like the h81 séries and 8 gigz of ram dd3. You should be good to go at a 200$ (max) upgrade.
Why would he want to do that when it'd be cheaper and better to go Skylake?

Idk there but in Portugal skylake is almost 50 euros more expensive that 4th generation. The reeason why I have a 4690 and not a 6500...

Idk there but in Portugal skylake is almost 50 euros more expensive that 4th generation. The reeason why I have a 4690 and not a 6500...
Skylake and Haswell processors here are about the same price, but the boards went up in price as did DDR3. It's cheaper to get 8GB of DDR4 than 8GB of DDR3 and an H110 board is cheaper than a H81.

Skylake and Haswell processors here are about the same price, but the boards went up in price as did DDR3. It's cheaper to get 8GB of DDR4 than 8GB of DDR3 and an H110 board is cheaper than a H81.
In that case yeah of is better to go for skylake :)

In that case yeah of is better to go for skylake :)

Yea I found this out when my best friend asked in our FB group if anybody wanted to buy his media PC i3 4130. I said sure I'll take it, then realized the cheapest boards went up $30. My immediate response was:

photo1.jpg

Yea I found this out when my best friend asked in our FB group if anybody wanted to buy his media PC i3 4130. I said sure I'll take it, then realized the cheapest boards went up $30. My immediate response was:

photo1.jpg

If it was like that in Portugal I would be an happy man.... would get my selo 6500k and 16 gigz of DDR4 2400mhz... oh well we are a low end country after all...

Z170 boards are still pricey, and the 6600k is still over 200 bucks. My go to was an i5 4440 and an H81 board for all budget builds until the boards went up in cost.

Back
Top Bottom