Best thing to do towards a IT security career based on my current knowledge?

mikeyfx

Beta member
Hello,

At my current job I am working very closely with VMWare AirWatch. Since AirWatch is a security and compliance tool, I figured my best bet is to learn more about security since AirWatch will be my main project for a while. I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but I was hoping someone could help me with my security career path based on my current knowledge. I figured if you guys know what I'm currently doing, maybe you could tell me where to go from here.

I have about 2 years of experience with heavy desktop support, Windows Systems Administration, and project management. Some of the bigger things I've done in the past 7 months;

1. Implemented AirWatch on-prem.
2. Built the production servers for AirWatch (console server, DSS server, web server, and SQL server.. although I had a DBA help me with the SQL server).
3. Managed and did the Windows 10 rollout to my enterprise.
4. Encryption to all Windows 10 devices.
5. Create VM's, manage snaps, storage, and ISO's in ESXi.
6. Created production Windows servers for the app team.
7. Fixed AD replication via sites and services.
8. Demoted 8 domain controllers.
9. Work with VP of Legal and Compliance to ensure security best practices.
10. Build testing environments.

Things on a regular basis/smaller things;
1. Desktop deployments (Mac and Windows).
2. Imaging with MDT.
3. Active Directory: creating users, NTFS permissions, groups, OU's.
4. Group Policy: Creating all different kinds of policies from software deployment to banner messages.
5. Desktop support to all users in-house and remote.
6. Symantec Endpoint Protection management.
7. Office 365/Google mail for business.
8. IT Onboarding new employees.
9. Setting up VOIP phones in the portal.
10. Work with Rackspace to expand storage and create VM's.

Well, what do you want to get into, specifically? Security is a broad field with a lot of very different specialties.

It looks like the bulk of your experience is with systems/servers - there are systems security engineer positions, but I don't know if you have enough direct security experience for those. If not, then maybe a SOC position would be a good fit. Or you could progress in a sysadmin type of position - you won't get a security title but the job will most likely involve security.

It will also help to know some networking, scripting, and Linux, if you don't, already.

Back
Top Bottom