DDR RAM question

Status
Not open for further replies.

oasisbhrnw

Solid State Member
I'm confused on how to tell how fast a front side bus DDR ram can handle. for instance, what front side bus speed can DDR3200 run? I know it can run a 400MHZ CPU front side bus, but can it run anything higher than that? How high?

yup.. 400 is the stock speed and if you want more, that means you're overclocking it, just like a cpu.

Ive seen some 500+ mhz ram cant remember what they were tho...
DDR500 is PC4000 RAM. A high performance brand like OCZ Platinum Series Rev2 sticks can be overclocked to 280+MHz plus so that can be DDR560 right there..equivelant of PC4400 which is DDR550 so actually just a little bit faster.

Thats mainly why those OCZ sticks are so expensive. It's not for novice users. You mainly get the benefits of being able to OC them like a beast.

RAM that can handle OCing fairly well would be something like Kingston HyperX brand, or Corsair XMS. These chips come with heat spreaders, and are built to good standards, which make them OC-friendly.

If you don't plan to OC then you don't need anything better than Kingston ValueRAM or Corsair ValueSelect etc.

You can often adjust the RAM speed settings on the mobo, but please don't play with these if you don't know what you're doing.

RAM that can handle OCing fairly well would be something like Kingston HyperX brand, or Corsair XMS. These chips come with heat spreaders, and are built to good standards, which make them OC-friendly
OCZ is currently top quality. Outperfoming Corsair which outperforms kingston on both performance and Overclockability. Plus they look ultra sexy with their mirror finish polished platinum heatspreaders.

But heatspreaders is contraversial right now. There's a brand of RAM that has great OC'ability but doesn't put heatspreader on theirs, so many speculate they really do nothing. I forget the name that doesn't put heatspreaders on...starts with an F I believe but I can't think of it right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom