New Laptop, Random Freezing.

Tahuhali

Solid State Member
So I just bought a new ASUS K501UX gaming laptop from Amazon, and i love everything about it except for one issue, it keeps freezing on me. Two main ways that it does this:

1. I'm doing something such as using Firefox or Microsoft Office, and all of a suddenly it freezes without warning. The mouse wont move and no key combination will do anything.
2. I open up my laptop to bring it out of sleep mode, and the the screen remains black with the power light on. no response to any keystrokes.

In either case, the only way to get solve the situation is to hold down the power button to shut it down, and then start the laptop again. I have only owned the computer 3 days, and it has done this about 10 or so times to me already. I know this has nothing to do with anything i installed on it, because the first time it did this was when i was setting up the OS for the first time (i was selecting what time zone I'm in). It seems to freeze when coming out of sleep about 60% of the time, and it freezes while I'm using it usually right after i click on something or switch programs.
So, is this a driver that needs updating, does the OS need to be reinstalled, or do I need to RMA this thing?

Quick specs:
Windows 10
Core i7-6500U
256GB SSD
Nvidia GTX 950m
8GB RAM

Thanks!

@OP:
Try updating drivers first. Don't do this through Device Manager. Go to Asus's website first, and update all drivers / Asus software that is available.
https://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks/K501UX/HelpDesk_Download/

If the versions there are older than what you have installed, then go to each component manufacturer's site (check against Device Manager to see what brand/model of components you have) and get the latest driver from there; e.g. Nvidia.com for GPU (and Intel.com for integrated GPU), Inte.com for chipset, etc.

If updating drivers doesn't work, then I'd suggest possibly running a memory test.
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Burn the ISO to a CD (or create a bootable flash drive with something like Rufus), and boot off of it. Let it run through several passes; at least 4 hours (overnight would be better). If you get any errors at all, then you have bad RAM - in this case, I'd RMA the laptop since it's brand new.

RMA straight away! no point trying to look into it otherwise you may void it.

just return it.

As long as you don't fiddle with hardware much you won't void any warranty.

Sounds good, I'll go ahead and try the drivers and mem test first to see if it helps. I've already done quite a bit of work on the computer that I would to to waste of I RMA it straight away.

Yes, make sure drivers and RAM are good, and check power management settings in BIOS setup. Make sure the keyboard is configured to wake up from sleep.

Was this a new laptop, or refurbished/used?
Was Windows 10 the OS that came with it new?

The laptop was brand new when purchased, and it came with Windows 10 preinstalled. I know however when these laptops were first released, they came with Windows 8.1. Some of the files that came on the computer when I first stared it up made me question what methods they used to prep the laptop for sale. There was a giant 75GB (yes Gigabyte) file with no extention that whose title included "safe to delete".

The laptop was brand new when purchased, and it came with Windows 10 preinstalled. I know however when these laptops were first released, they came with Windows 8.1. Some of the files that came on the computer when I first stared it up made me question what methods they used to prep the laptop for sale. There was a giant 75GB (yes Gigabyte) file with no extention that whose title included "safe to delete".

Wow that's strange, I've never heard of a file like that.
I only asked about the OS because I know a lot of 8.1 or 7 laptops don't upgrade well to windows 10. My laptop came with 8.1, it now has 10, and along with Windows 10 came driver errors and legacy BIOS instead of UEFI, neither of which I've found a perfect solution for. I make due with the BIOS, and the drivers some I've found updates for and some not. I have two display drivers for instance; one I must use if I want to change the brightness, and I have to switch to the other if I want to extend or duplicate the display via HDMI.

I don't know if this has anything to do with your problem or not, but it has frustrated me to great lengths.

Back
Top Bottom