Getting a new PC

dclemons2

Baseband Member
As recommend I am looking into getting a new PC, preferably one within the $750-$425 range. (Maybe higher if its worth it!) I use a lot of designing programs (3DS Max, Adobe software such etc.)
I'm also not looking to build it myself, but otherwise going with the NCIXUS build-for-you route.
I (currently) have this Dell Inspiron 531 I think it's a "slim" whatever that means it doesn't say 531s
Currently running Windows 7 64 bit with 4 gb ram and the sorriest of all graphics card: Amd Radoen 5450 "HD"

Ok here's a parts list specifically from NCIX.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3MC48K

Here's a link to RAM.
NCIXUS.com - Buy CMK16GX4M2A2400C14 - Corsair Vengeance Lpx 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4-2400MHZ C14 Memory Kit 1.2V - Corsair - Great price and fast delivery

That's a single stick of 16GB so you can add another later if you need to. Now this is your budget without an OS or any other parts. You may need to add a 1TB drive if you need additional space. The IGP will work fine for the mean time in your budget, but if you decide to add more budget I'd suggest getting a GT 730 or something cheap for CUDA functionality.

Last edited:
PP Mguire, first off, this is NOT an attack, or mockery of any kind. you and several others here have helped me a great deal over the last couple of years, and i greatly appreciate that help. i just have a couple of things i want to point out and question. 1) while i agree on the i-7 6700, should he buy an over clock cpu w/o an over clock board? 2) while I am happy with the graphics performance of the Intel 530 graphics, i am not doing any kind of 3D designing. is he going to be able to do what he needs without a graphics card of some sort? and 3) since he is using this for work, he may need to save his work for months before a client actually approves his work. to me that screams 2-4TB mechanical (in addition to the SSD) to simply store things on. of course he could simply get an external when he needs it later. and lastly, i do not think he can transfer his copy of Windows to his new system, can he? if not, he will need a new O.S. as well. of course, he could always go Linux, if he is familiar with that. i am not trying to drive the price of his build up, if anyone understands a tight budget, its me! i just see a couple of empty spaces that i think need addressing. what do you think?? if i am all wet, by all means let me have it.

Yea, my post answers all of those but one. I chose the K because it has a higher non-turbo clock which will help as it's a 600MHz bump from the non-K as well as an additional 200MHz with turbo. For 3D rendering if the program doesn't support offloading anything to the GPU you want all the CPU you can get and his budget could take the K. As you notice I did not put a Z series board in there to decrease the extra cost of the K CPU.

Back
Top Bottom