Question about dual hard drives

fallenapples

In Runtime
I have a 120 GB ssd and a 1TB hdd. My question is when I make the ssd the default C drive and the 1TB storage D drive, do I have to install all of the drivers (GPU for example) on the 1TB hdd, or can I just keep it on the 120GB ssd?

The drivers will be installed on whichever drive your Windows installation is - presumably the SSD. Most of the time you won't get a choice on this, but it's best that they be kept on the SSD so that drivers can be loaded quickly at boot time.

I think you are getting some terminology confused, drivers are not stand alone software applications. Some drivers do come with a driver utility program, however drivers are meant to provide the software layer between a physical piece of hardware connected to your computer to the software which controls this hardware. It is basically an in between piece of software you cannot directly interact with as its only role is to let the controlling software and hardware communicate. The controlling software in this case would be your operating system. So those drivers get installed to the same drive your operating system is installed, otherwise the operating system can't communicate with the hardware, which in your case is your video card.

Autocad is a stand alone software application. When there is no hardware involved on this level, the applications can be stored on most any local storage device.

Back
Top Bottom