Switching Storage

wastedtime

Beta member
Hello, Techist forums. I have two storage devices and I've been using one but my other device hasn't been used at all. I would like to use D: device but I have no Idea on how I can switch my files to that device, if anyone can help me that would be very appreciated :)
image.png

Windows won't automatically save to your D: drive and virtually all programs default to saving on the C: drive. When you create a new file, instead of creating it on the C: drive, navigate to the D: drive and create a new folder there and then create the new document in that folder. You can move any of your existing documents from the C: drive to the D: drive using the Move function within File Explorer.

When installing new software you can specify to install it on the D: drive instead of the C: drive. You may need to select Custom install in order to do that.

Thank you guys. One more question, if I were to move let's say all my Program Files, Program Files (x86), Users files, etc to D: would windows still run properly?

Last edited:
You can't manually move them. You would have to uninstall the programs that you want to move, and then reinstall them - and during the install setup, choose your other drive to install them to (would be a good idea to make a 'Programs' folder on your other drive as well, if this is what you wanted to do).

If your main concern is storage space, I would just manually move files that use a good bit of space (pictures, videos) over to the D dive and create a shortcut on your desktop to easily access them when you need, then can you can have all of your program files in one place to make thing more organized.

Back
Top Bottom