Will the new upcoming GTX work with my old build?

amirgelman

Baseband Member
Hey all,

Was really encouraged that the new GTXs will have a size that actually fits my case (sonata 3 by Antec).

Now, the question is whether or not the GTX (1080 or 1070 - but probably am more interested in the 1070) will work with my PC as it IS very much old.

Gigabyte GA-H57M
Intel Core i5 CPU | 750 @ 2.67Ghz 2.66 GHz
16 GB RAM DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750Ti GDDR5
SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO

Much thanks to the helpers! :)

What power supply do you have? It'll work fine with everything else, though there's a possibility there might be a loss of performance as your PCI-E x16 slot is only 2.0 and not 3.0, but it shouldn't be significant.

What power supply do you have? It'll work fine with everything else.

oh it's the one that comes with the Antec 3 which is 500w power supply.
was lead to believe it is enough since the new GTXs require even less power then previous gen cards. am i right?

and thanks for the comment :)

They're about the same wattage respectively to the card they replace, just way more power. Like, the 1070 is supposed to be better than a Titan X (looks at my PC sadly). It should be fine, but if you've had it since that case came out (I used to have a Sonata back in uh....2007?) you should probably replace it when you get the chance.

Also yes, it'll work with your build. IIRC you have your chip clocked at 3.2 right?

They're about the same wattage respectively to the card they replace, just way more power. Like, the 1070 is supposed to be better than a Titan X (looks at my PC sadly). It should be fine, but if you've had it since that case came out (I used to have a Sonata back in uh....2007?) you should probably replace it when you get the chance.

Also yes, it'll work with your build. IIRC you have your chip clocked at 3.2 right?

appreciate your comment.
well, i can't even begin to understand how one might check such a thing. how do i know i got it clocked to 3.2?
when asking about clocking\overclocking (if that's the same thing) i always got answers which pretty much say "if you don't really understand how to do it - don't do it!"

What power supply do you have? It'll work fine with everything else, though there's a possibility there might be a loss of performance as your PCI-E x16 slot is only 2.0 and not 3.0, but it shouldn't be significant.

Have you got personal experience with that scenario? Every thing I've ever read is that there is zero noticeable difference. I'm curious if that becomes more distinct of a difference as the cards become more potent?

Considering the 1070 is supposed to be as fast or faster than a Titan X I'd say that's definitely getting closer and closer BUT his CPU would be an issue before PCI-E bandwidth.

I find that in many cases, for those like OP who don't upgrade frequently, you're better off just buying a whole new machine. If you upgrade frequently, then many of those parts are good for a tick or tock or two. But in this person's case, perhaps wait for the price of the 970 to drop like a rock? Might stumble across some good deals. The 970 may be more fitting for his current setup anyway.

The 970 is a waste of money compared to the 1070 unless he can get it for less than 200 used. The prices won't really drop retail, they'll just get replaced by the 1000 series.

Back
Top Bottom