Powerful Raspberry Pi/Arduino Alternative

I don't really trust crowdfunded projects. If the product is actually released then I will buy it.

Lol I like how they compare x86 CPU performance to the RPi3, which is ARM based.

Why does that matter? Flops is flops, yeah it's kinda unfair to compare them and go "ooh look this one is so much faster!" 'cause well yeah duh it is, but at the same time...that's their point. It's targeted at pretty much the same market as RPi (plus a little of Arduino's market I guess, though buying such a relatively expensive device over a plain arduino would make no sense if that's all you were going to use) so comparing them isn't so bad I'd say.

If it's truly completely open hardware then my main concern is mitigated (bugs/incompatibility being neigh impossible to overcome - see BananaPi for example). The only other concern is whether it grows a large enough community to support it.

Totally different architectures though - they won't necessarily be running the same applications. Point was, they're comparing apples to oranges for marketing.

I think that's splitting hairs though - regardless of whether you may have to use a differently-named bit of software that's compiled for different architecture, the functionality that the software provides will be available on both platforms. Apart from some very specific exceptions, the only reason I'd take into account their architectural differences is if power consumption or size etc came into play - for the vast majority of Pi users, I'd say it's a moot point.

Back
Top Bottom