HI everyone! Noob here looking for some help

fpritt24

Solid State Member
Hello everybody
I am a moderate computer techy (techie?) and I am looking for some reasoning in why my computer isn't performing the way I expect it to.

I own an Acer Aspire 5349 series laptop that came with:
Intel B815 processor
4GB DDR3 Memory
320 GB HDD
Intel HD Graphics card

Since then I have added:
Intel i5 2540M processor
8GB DDR3 Memory
1 TB HDD
Same graphics card

I experienced a slightly smoother running PC after the initial upgrade but it still doesn't seem to perform as I expected it too with these upgrades. I don't know if I have a bottleneck somewhere or how to check for it if someone can help or point me in a direction to start looking for help.

Thanks!

I have a older laptop but the biggest improvement I did was add a duel drive HD, has a 128gig SSD for Windows and 1TB storage HD all in one HD that fit in. The SSD is a huge improvement and actually runs better than a friend's laptop with better specs, though I do no gaming on it but HD's seem to be the biggest bottleneck especially if there a 5400 rpm drive.

What exactly are you having performance issues with?
It doesn't run smoothly when browsing the internet, kinda jumps around a little bit and it runs hot a lot even doing simple tasks on the computer. It runs extremely hot and my fps drops down to between 5-10 when playing MMO's. I know it's not a gaming setup or anything but I just expect for it to perform better than it does when playing.

I have a older laptop but the biggest improvement I did was add a duel drive HD, has a 128gig SSD for Windows and 1TB storage HD all in one HD that fit in. The SSD is a huge improvement and actually runs better than a friend's laptop with better specs, though I do no gaming on it but HD's seem to be the biggest bottleneck especially if there a 5400 rpm drive.
I would love to put a SSD in but whenever I was upgrading, I spent all my money on the other stuff. Maybe sometime this summer I can switch over to a SSD.

Have you done basic things like cleaning the dust out of the fans/vents? May also help to put new thermal paste on the CPU.

Have you done basic things like cleaning the dust out of the fans/vents? May also help to put new thermal paste on the CPU.
I haven't cleaned out the fan for about a year now. How often do you recommend this be done? My room is kept fairly clean but I do have a cat that has real long hair.

If you have a pet that sheds...at least once a month.
I just cleaned it out and put a dab more thermal paste in between the CPU and heat sink. There was some dust in the fan but not enough to complete clog it and no pet hair. I'll play some online and see how the temperature and performance is affected. Thank you.

I just cleaned it out and put a dab more thermal paste in between the CPU and heat sink. There was some dust in the fan but not enough to complete clog it and no pet hair. I'll play some online and see how the temperature and performance is affected. Thank you.

I ope you cleaned the old paste off when you put the dab more.... If you didnt clean the old stuff off it may be part of the issue not letting enough of the heat transfer to the heatsink.

Back
Top Bottom