Reusing old PSU?

danhodge

In Runtime
So I'm thinking of doing a new build, but this time I don't really want to cut the corners I did for my first build. Last time I got a cheap mobo, reused a hard drive, and ended up swapping out my nice new 7850 for someones old R9 270, and that just caused problems.

I've drafted a new build, but if i'm not mistaken, my PSU requirements are perfectly met by my current one, and it's a good PSU that i've had no problems with. Its a Corsair builder series 600w, only issue being that it isn't modular, and it's been in use for 3 years. Although it would be nice to save the £60 on a new PSU, i see no point in doing this if it increases the risk of my system blowing itself out of the sky.

Also yes I googled this, and it seemed to be a matter of opinion, so I figured i'd get the opinion of the people that I'm certain know what they are actually talking about ;)

Thanks for the help,
Danny

I used my old Thermaltake TP for 8 years before I replaced it with a more powerful version that released the year after. There's nothing wrong with reusing a decent PSU if it's working perfectly fine.

I have a corsair in my second system I've had since 2009 and still going strong

In my experience, you're more likely to have issues if you buy a new PSU vs continuing to use one which has proven itself capable of making it past the initial phase. Much like hard disks, a lot of them fail right away if they are going to fail prematurely.

Back
Top Bottom