How Many Watts Do I Need for this Desktop?

Why? That is the old model that got terrible marks by JGuru. The newer version is the same price and is actually good. Also, if you don't plan to go SLI or overclock you're getting way too much headroom for nothing.

Why? That is the old model that got terrible marks by JGuru. The newer version is the same price and is actually good. Also, if you don't plan to go SLI or overclock you're getting way too much headroom for nothing.
Can you post a link to the new version?

I'm choosing 750 watts in case I decide to use Sli or buy a K mobo to OC.

Can you post a link to the new version?
It's linked on the page that you linked to. "A newer version of this item is available" which links here:
EVGA 120-G1-0750-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 750 W 10 yr Warranty Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI Ready and Crossfire Support Continuous Power Supply - Newegg.com

I'm choosing 750 watts in case I decide to use Sli or buy a K mobo to OC.
You'll need to buy a new board in the future if you want to OC or get SLI, as the board you selected supports neither. You'd need to get a Z series board.

And like previously stated, you'd be fine with a lower wattage PSU for OC'ing.

Yeah that's what I had originally on my parts picker list. I posted the wrong link to the PSU. Your link is the right PSU.

And like previously stated, you'd be fine with a lower wattage PSU for OC'ing.

I' m stuck now. You and other people say I need a 550 or 650 for my current build. But in the future, if I decide to either upgrade the GPU to a 980 or Titan, or buy a K to OC, I'd need more juice. I'm inclined to buy a 750 PSU.

But others also reported that they can get away with a 550 PSU on their OC'ed systems.

Like I said, I'm stuck on which to buy.

------ EDIT -------
What do you think of this PSU? Its 750 watts. But its $20 less than the EVGA I had on my list:

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16817328006

Last edited:
A GTX 980 takes half the watts of a Titan X or 980ti, and a 970 takes less than that. A Titan X is a 300W card and I paired it to a 955BE OCd which was probably pulling 200W itself and my OP Seasonic PSU in my tertiary PC handled it like a champ. If you read my article linked I talk about why this is possible after the long winded CPU bit. You have to understand that any Gold, Platinum, or Titanium rated PSU is rated for the wattage they can continuously provide. That's why my Seasonic was able to pump out 500W worth of power even without a fan to an unrecommended pair up (it was for testing for that other guy). Any **** PSU is rated at peak meaning they will pop if you pull that much power.

Any mainline Intel desktop class CPU will take less than 100W, and if you stick with high midrange chips (like 980, 970, 1080, 1070) they will all take less than 200W. Add these together and that's what you need because you can basically disregard the rest of the system as draw is minimal. If you OC a Skylake CPU under conventional cooling you won't pull more than 150W and the GPUs I mentioned above won't pull more than 225W OC'd. Basically unless you added a second card you could get away with even an M1211 Seasonic 520W PSU which is bronze rated, but for the same price you could get the eVGA.

That Deepcool is a meh PSU, would be better off with the eVGA, a Corsair, or Seasonic. JGuru gave the previous older model an 8.6 which isn't bad but the eVGA got a 9.7 lol. If you think you'll ever go dual card in the next couple of years I guess just get the eVGA. I preach lower wattage for single card systems but that's only because some people want a good machine but don't really go much further than that. If you really feel you'll get into it later then by all means that eVGA will probably last you 10 years worth of dual GPU systems.

Back
Top Bottom