New RAM + PSU + HDD

DZimmy

Baseband Member
Dear all,
I am here to ask you for an advice. In 2011 I bought a new PC for gaming. Year ago I bough a new GPU and now I feel it is time to buy a new RAM. My question is what would you recommend? I am not sure if DDR4 RAM is compatible with DDR3 MB? Also I have a bit of a trouble with the cooling of CPU CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ (see photos). I dunno if I can add another 2x4GB or if I need to buy 2x8GB?
Another thing is I might want a new PSU. Because when I bought GTX970 I had this coin whine. I got it replaced, but it didn't help. I haven't got any problems with my GTX580.
And a last thing - is there any specific 2TB HDD you would recommend?

Sorry for so many questions and thank you for your further reply.
Best Regards,
DZimmy

My setup:
CPU: i5-2500K + CoolerMaster Hyper 212+
MB: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO - Intel Z68
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 4GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 CL8
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series Modular TX750M 750W
HDD: WD Caviar Black - 1TB
CASE: CoolerMaster HAF-922 (RC-922M-KKN1-GP)

Last edited:
The problem with the cpu cooler is because it's dirty. Even a fine coat of dust is enough to throw off the heat sink. I have mine with the fan on the other side drawing air in to the HS and then blowing it out toward the back case fan. A horse hair brush is anti static and good for loosening dust that accumulates in plug slots. Blow out the heat sink in the vid card. It's dirty also.

As far as DDR4 fitting a DRR3 board, it won't work unless the board is designed to use either one. Which I doubt. Check the major players in ram like Corsair and let it scan your system to see what you can use.

As for the power supply you seem to be having some rotten luck. I use the Corsair brand and have had very good results with the one I use. It's been phased out so I can't recommend that one. Only rule I use is to get 100 watts more than I need for expansion.

And I use the WD green for my 2TB drives. I use the black for the smaller ones.

It comes down to, "How far you want to go depends on how much you want to spend".

For CPU cooling..honestly I'd just go with an AIO watercooler; something like a Corsair H60 or H80 (unless you want to go big and get something like an H110i). Since it's an AIO, that means you don't have to do any maintenance on it besides wiping down the radiator from dust.

Is your 8GB of RAM being filled up, or are you wanting to upgrade it 'just to upgrade' ? IMO 8GB is plenty...but if you want then you could get another kit 2x4GB. No, DDR4 won't work with that setup - you'll have to stick with DDR3.

You never posted what PSU you have... What brand/model is it? If it's already a good brand like a Corsair or SeaSonic, I'd check if the warranty is still valid. If not...go with a SeaSonic S12ii or M12ii - a 520w would be plenty; if you wanted a 620w one that would be fine as well.

HGST or WD or SeaGate for HDD. But honestly, getting an SSD will increase your overall performance way more at this point, since it doesn't appear you said you have an SSD.

@setishock: Yea, I know. I did the dust a couple of weeks ago. I just ran out of compressed air. That was the other thing - what exactly do you use to get rid of the dust? Because I spoke with a scientist considering one expensive instrument and he tole me not to use compressed air, because it leaves some nasty stuff on it. Also what exactly do you mean by horse hair brush (link maybe)? Thank you.

@carnageX: Sorry for the missing PSU, I edited the OP. Also you think 8GB is enough for games? How exactly SSD would help me? I have trouble with games like GTAV or Next Car Game kinda shuttering during gameplay. Like the game lacks memory to load data to. I would have to install the games on SSD or it works otherwise?

@setishock: Yea, I know. I did the dust a couple of weeks ago. I just ran out of compressed air. That was the other thing - what exactly do you use to get rid of the dust? Because I spoke with a scientist considering one expensive instrument and he tole me not to use compressed air, because it leaves some nasty stuff on it. Also what exactly do you mean by horse hair brush (link maybe)? Thank you.
Compressed air is fine as long as you don't turn it upside down or w/e. A horse hair brush as in a brush with soft bristles made of horse hair. A vacuum with a soft-bristled end would work as well.

@carnageX: Sorry for the missing PSU, I edited the OP. Also you think 8GB is enough for games? How exactly SSD would help me? I have trouble with games like GTAV or Next Car Game kinda shuttering during gameplay. Like the game lacks memory to load data to. I would have to install the games on SSD or it works otherwise?

What settings are you playing the games on? I was able to play GTAV on a GTX 960 2GB on medium/high settings with no stuttering, and averaged around 50-60fps (before I upgraded to my current 970).

The SSD would only really help for load times with games specifically...but overall system performance (booting, OS functions, launching applications, etc.) will be dramatically improved because of the performance increase of an SSD over an HDD.

I only have 12GB of RAM and I've never seen it hit near that while playing games normally (unless I play something like Fallout or Skyrim with a lot of mods).

The coil whine is from the 970, not the PSU, and it's perfectly normal. A GTX 580 draws double the wattage of a 970 and if your PSU ran that fine then the PSU is fine.

Nothing here really needs to be upgraded. If you're having stuttering in GTA V then it most definitely is because settings are too high.

Also thank you for not immediately assuming the 2500k was getting long in the tooth. For reference, your CPU is the bomb diggity still in terms of gaming. I know you didn't bring it up, I just wanted to mention that. You didn't mention your actual temps. More than likely all you need to do is dust the heatsink and just repaste it.

Your board will support up to 32GB of RAM. 8GB is fine for GTA V, BUT if you have the funds to up to 16GB (another 2x4 would be fine, or you could go crazy and get 2x8 it doesn't matter, just not necessary) then I suggest doing it now before DDR3 prices start to sky rocket due to DDR4 demand getting higher (DDR3 should be phased out by next year due to all relevant platforms moving on to DDR4).

Whether or not you talked to a "scientist", whoever or whatever you referenced is correct BUT blowing a piece of metal with compressed air is perfectly fine. What is being referenced here is continuous use of compressed air can cause a residue build up which can conduct electricity. This is only bad for spraying motherboards and other PCBs (or electronic devices that have current running through them) consistently over a great amount of time. When it comes to a heatsink (or even an AIO water cooler) it's perfectly fine to spray them however much you want to clean them. All they do is transfer heat, not electricity. Matter a fact, a heatsink is fine to be cleaned in your sink if you so desire. This is how I clean my TRUE 120 BE on my old 955BE setup. When my old H100i got dirty I dipped it in soapy water then ran hot water over it and used a hair dryer to dry it quickly for immediate use. Same can be done with a standard heatsink. Corrosion or rust won't occur if you dry it quickly.

Back
Top Bottom