Show Off your Desk !

I am in progress with my first build in literally thirty years! Pics to follow. In the meantime, the specs are as follows:

Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Ultra Tower
Motherboard: MSI X99A Godlike motherboard Carbon edition
Processor: Intel Core I7-6950X
GPU: Twin SLI Nvidia 1080 GTX
Dedicated Boot Disc: Samsung Pro 850 512GB SSD
HDD: WD Black - 4TB - Storage
HDD WD Black - 2TB- Applications
RAM: Dominator Platinum DDR4 (128GB)
Liquid Cooled CPU and GPU
9 Fans throughout system
3.0 USB
Custom color panel highlighting primary components, tempered glass, etc.
Colored wiring where applicable
Primary colors: white/black case, electric blue, magenta, and crimson alternating colors

I am sure along the way the question will be flying. Since the case arrived, I am stoked about getting this project off the ground. Importantly, if you have any recommendations, please please let me know. Thirty years between builds is a long long time. :eek:

Greetings PP Mguire!

Your observation and supposition are true to the core.

Yet a short history might I present to you.

There was once a phase I went through where building obsolescence was my creed. Then, in 2012, I purchased an Alienware R4 Aurora and, aftermarket, maxed it out. That machine is still up and kicking five years later. My philosophy really is not spending allot of money thinking you can buy the best, but rather seeking out and embracing longevity. Could I do so for less? Sure; however this is where the microchips fell. At the end of the day, after all, don't we all just want to build a kick *** machine? :)

This is my work desk! I've got my HotS figures watching over me, and various superfluous knick-knacks as they pertain to my job.

Attachments

• IMG_20170405_080016924.jpg
    IMG_20170405_080016924.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 5
Greetings PP Mguire!

Your observation and supposition are true to the core.

Yet a short history might I present to you.

There was once a phase I went through where building obsolescence was my creed. Then, in 2012, I purchased an Alienware R4 Aurora and, aftermarket, maxed it out. That machine is still up and kicking five years later. My philosophy really is not spending allot of money thinking you can buy the best, but rather seeking out and embracing longevity. Could I do so for less? Sure; however this is where the microchips fell. At the end of the day, after all, don't we all just want to build a kick *** machine? :)
Sure but just for the price of the RAM alone you could have had SLI 1080ti. Instead of the 6950x a 6900k or 1800x could have been had which would have warranted the use of a 1TB 850 EVO for apps and a 512GB 960 EVO for boot. A lot of machine held back by a couple of spinners. I'm assuming you're a gamer if you have 1080 SLI. The 6950x is actually slower than the 6900k and 7700k at gaming. I mean you do you, people will justify their purchase as they see fit. Just not the best way to blow some money when half of what's there won't be utilized.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom