Fast RPM HDD or SSD

mwwwilson

In Runtime
I am looking for suggestions now that my Samsung SSD is giving me problems. I am getting the BSOD stating Read/Write errors. After investigating, I found that SSD's have a tendency to fail after Read/Write are not infinite. Never knew that.

I am simply using this SSD for Windows10 startup and a few programs. One being iRacing (racing simulator) and it is imperative that the drive read/writes fast to enter into racing sessions. In other words, a normal HDD takes upwards of 180 seconds to launch. I need this to launch in like 30 seconds.

The SSD worked great at first. Windows startup was fast and iRacing sessions were opening inside of 60 seconds. I was pleased with the purchase. This was 2 years ago now.

Now I cannot even trust my SSD for iRacing. I use a normal HDD for it now but it is painstakingly slow. The problem is the longer the load... the shorter the practice I get before a race. Races give 5 minutes of practice at the beginning of a race session. I sometimes cannot even run 1 lap of practice because the load took 3+ minutes.

So do I go with another SSD for speed and hope it lasts longer than 2 years or do I bite the bullet and get a 10K RPM HDD?

Your SSD may be under warranty, the 850 EVO is 3 or 5 Years. I would check it out if I were you. I've had problems with Samsung support in the past, but it's worth a shot.

You could also check out this SSHD for a mix of both worlds.

Last edited:
Your SSD may be under warranty, the 850 EVO is 3 or 5 Years. I would check it out if I were you. I've had problems with Samsung support in the past, but it's worth a shot.

You could also check out this SSHD for a mix of both worlds.

This. Your SSD is most likely unders warranty. Get any data backed up that you can, contact Samsung and get it replaced under warranty.

I'd further that investigation as I suspect you may have other issues. Modern SSDs failing don't come lightly and randomly. Especially under normal use.

The reason I believe it's the SSD is because I have a dual boot pc. The other boot is Windows 7 Ultimate on an HDD. No problems whatsoever when I boot into that HDD. I have been using it to race online but it is slow. I will def check out warranty info on the Samsung. Thanks for all the input.

Back
Top Bottom