Reboot and select proper Boot Device

beedubaya

Golden Master
A got a new computer about two weeks ago. This morning, I stepped away from it and when I came back, it apparently had rebooted and the message

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

I went into BIOS and made the system hard disk boot device #1 instead of the DVD-ROM drive and this resolved the issue. However, I am worried about what caused this to happen in the first place. The system has been working flawlessly for the past two weeks.

I checked Windows Event Viewer and could not find any indication as to why the system rebooted. Usually when its a BSOD there is an indication of a stop error. I did see that it installed Windows Updates last night.

I did a basic hard disk scan as well as a blended Prime95 torture test and everything came back okay.

Any other ideas?

Specs
-----
Gigabyte GA-H110M=52H-GSM motherboard
i7-6700 CPU
8GB RAM
GTX 970 GPU
WD Blue 1TB hard drive and WD Green 1TB secondary hard drive
Windows 10

You check all the cables, especially the SATA? maybe its loose and caused the reboot and to not find the OS.

You check all the cables, especially the SATA? maybe its loose and caused the reboot and to not find the OS.

It was resolved by changing the boot order in the BIOS to check the primary hard drive first. The computer never had issues seeing the hard drive. I haven't had any issues since so I think if it was something like a loose cable, that wouldn't have fixed it.

I discovered a Trojan on my system yesterday evening so I am wondering if that may have been a factor. It's still strange though, how all of a sudden it didn't like the DVD-ROM drive being at top boot priority followed by my two hard drives.

Good good!

I said loose cables as you said it randomly restarted and that message came up, so thought it was not seeing the hard drive.

Did you ever set the boot order? If so, could be a dying battery if the time also reset.

Did you have a DVD in the rom drive, sometimes if it sees it depending on what media you have in there it will try to boot off of it and you get that message.

Did you have a DVD in the rom drive, sometimes if it sees it depending on what media you have in there it will try to boot off of it and you get that message.

No DVD in the drive lol.

CMOS battery is a thought. Would it cause a random reboot though?

Back
Top Bottom