Dedicated Minecraft Server - Bare Minimum

To be fair it was probably a limitation of my internet connection. Only 2mbps up at the time.

If you're going to have an MC server that big you're likely also going to want to load balance with bungee cord and run multiple gameserver instances. Running your own mod will likely be what holds you back the most from big growth. Because each client that connects to your server will also have to mod their client to be in sync with the server. Its far easier to get people to try plugins because they work on a native spigot or bukkit server which allows users to keep vanilla clients and not get Forge and learn how to install mod packs; which also puts them at a higher risk for malware when they seek shady sites to obtain Forge.

With all these considerations, renting hosting space would be far less of an initial investment and significantly less of a risk for when you first get off the ground. In the future a cheap hosted solution could also serve as a beta test for your mod; that way you will have your production side and your testing side. If i were you only after you're off the ground and you're certain your marketing, website, and server can function and features can be relied on with stability and performance, then I would look into purchasing a dedicated machine.

Last edited:
So I re-read through... Is OP wanting 300-400 players? Definitely go hosted, or maybe buy a used server from eBay or baddogservers or something.

Your ISP will be the bottleneck no matter the hardware with 3-400 people though.

Hosted seems to be the best solution...

OVH has a suitable server for that. $69 a month for 32 gigs of RAM and an 8-core proc along with a "minimum 250mbps Internet connection" for up and downstream.

THe guy was running the server on his main rig, I seriously highly doubt requirements are that big and a little Google later it appears you want about 0.25Mb per person on the upload for a server.

For a 30-60 player server they still have dual cores for recommended and DSL/Cable low ping for net requirement. For dedicated server they have 30Mb basically as highest for 45+ people and a bunch of old stuff listed so hardly that demanding.

I mean, on my connection and server I could easily host a 300 person server if these numbers are anywhere near accurate. A lot of people tend to look at raw data and not really understand it much so they overcompensate. In the end the hardware isn't that much concern besides RAM (since it wants to cache everything) and his connection upload.

Thanks everyone for your input, this is all me thinking way into the future (a future where this modpack actually goes somewhere, mind you). I'll take all this into consideration if I ever do get anywhere with this.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom