Dedicated Minecraft Server - Bare Minimum

dwarfdude77

In Runtime
I want to build a computer for a Minecraft Server - yes, I know, a few years ago I built a desktop for just that purpose, but ended up turning that rig into my primary gaming/everything else PC, and realized that there is now absolutely no way that i'd be able to host an MC server 24/7 on this, while I run my usual programs. Anyways, lately i've been developing a Technic modpack that i hope to eventually run a 24/7 server for. I'd like to build a bare minimum rig for this, I don't need peripherals, a GPU, etc. I'll probably end up installing Linux or a free version of Windows if I can find one. I want to see how low I can get the price for this. My specs for this would (hopefully) be 16 gigs RAM and a 3.0 ghz - 2 or 4 core - Intel CPU. I'm extremely open to suggestions, these specs are not set in stone, and this whole thing is just an idea at the moment.

Thanks for your time once again!

Remind me what was build before?

Probably a barebones i5 6400, 16GB (2x8) DDR4 2133, and the cheapest 1151 board money can buy. Cheap *** Rosewill case and cheap Seasonic 380W.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 Haswell Quad-Core 3.0GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54430 - Newegg.com

Motherboard: MSI H81M-E33 LGA 1150 Intel H81 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

RAM: Team Dark 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TXD38192M1600HC9DC-D - Newegg.com

Hard Drive: WD WDBH2D0010HNC-NRSN 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Desktop Mainstream Hard Drive Retail Kit - Newegg.com

SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Newegg.com

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 350D CC-9011029-WW Black Aluminum / Steel MicroATX Case with Window - Newegg.com

Optical Drive: ASUS DVD-Writer 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24F1ST - CD / DVD Burners - Newegg.com

Power Supply: CORSAIR CX series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

You might be better off for this with a cheap A10 AMD APU. I wouldn't normally suggest that, but it might be a good option for this situation.

Its far cheaper to go with a hosted provider. I don't see the benefit behind using a personal machine, on a consumer-grade ISP. You're likely going to be bottle-necked somewhere other than the machine. I guess it depends on your goals for the server. If you're staying small with a group of friends it might be better to self-host a dedicated but many hosting providers offer 'game server' services which are sufficient for small communities, dirt cheap, and offer great management consoles and FTP access.

Last edited:
Its far cheaper to go with a hosted provider. I don't see the benefit behind using a personal machine, on a consumer-grade ISP. You're likely going to be bottle-necked somewhere other than the machine. I guess it depends on your goals for the server. If you're staying small with a group of friends it might be better to self-host a dedicated but many hosting providers offer 'game server' services which are sufficient for small communities, dirt cheap, and offer great management consoles and FTP access.

This. For a max ~300-400 player server, you'll probably need like 32 gb of ram, a high-end quad core processor and most importantly a good internet connection.

This. For a max ~300-400 player server, you'll probably need like 32 gb of ram, a high-end quad core processor and most importantly a good internet connection.
iFargle could chime in, but then who's expecting 300-400? Skylake i5 and 16GB of RAM would run it fine, bar the net connection.

You might be better off for this with a cheap A10 AMD APU. I wouldn't normally suggest that, but it might be a good option for this situation.

This is exactly what I used for mine. Never saw an issue with up to 10 players on it at a time.

It was an A10 with 16GB's RAM on an SSD. It was decent :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom