external harddive disconnects

familyman01

Baseband Member
This is a toss up between hardware and peripheral (spelling?) maybe even software causing this issue...

I build my own externals with 3.5inch satas in rosewill enclosures, so I consider this a hardware issue, but it also may be software that keeps dropping the drive.

So this external drive has never done this before, it drops, then regains signal, then drops again, rinse, repeat etc... it's on the same port it's always plugged into, an esatap/usb 3.0 port on my laptop. same cables etc.

Now the issue started when I worked on my sister's desktop pc. I used the drive to back up files, and transfer them back to her pc when I reinstalled windows, which is exactly the same as my laptop, 7 home premium x64. Before on my laptop it worked perfect, and on my sister's pc (usb 2.0 port) it worked perfect.

However, now when attached to my laptop it freaks out, i hear that annoying "usb device plugged in/unplugged" sound constantly.

One thing I noticed: I deleted a msworld...something folder that was hidden and not on there before, also a temp folder from when i was updating HER windows showed up temporarily, the classic windows update random numbers and letters folder, but it's not there anymore, must have deleted itself?

Running a defrag right now on it hopefully before it disappears again, a couple CCleaner runs and turns off and on have made the drops less constant but they are still happening on a frighteningly fast basis.

Please help me save my largest backup drive or else i lose a ton of files! There's no signs of damage, no clicking, it's quiet as always and accessible WHEN it's "seen".

Hook it up directly to a PC to make sure it still works properly via internal SATA.

I had a Rosewill enclosure kill a drive just last month... I'm sticking with IcyDock for external enclosures now. Had one going strong for 6 years now without issue...yet I've gone through 2 different cheap enclosures (a Rosewill and some no-name brand I needed in a pinch).

oh snap. desktops are rare these days (comparatively speaking, i watched a youtube video called "kids react to desktop computer" and it was a MODERN pc) but yeah, I don't have that as an option. no neighbors have one, and my sister lives in another city and has her pc back. shoot. I used to be a desktop guy, never wanted to get into laptops because desktops are just so easy for me to work on, just toss in whatever you want (within spec) and work away on it. I have been eyeballing 2.5 inch externals because the 1 and 2 tb are so cheap, but still too much for me to drop money on. Would you maybe have a suggestion on a good 3.5inch sata to USB out enclosure that's under 25 bucks? I never had a rosewill product die on me, keyboards, cases, psu's, case fans etc.

good lord, forget icydock, if i'm dropping 50 bucks on an enclosure, i'll just drop 100 on 1 or 2tb wd external and transfer everything lol.

good lord, forget icydock, if i'm dropping 50 bucks on an enclosure, i'll just drop 100 on 1 or 2tb wd external and transfer everything lol.

Mine was $60 when I bought it about 6 years ago...but like I said...it's been running tough the whole time.

man, i don't know what to do, my funds don't like either of those options. maybe max out my laptop hdd with my backup files until i can afford the new enclosure and of course if it's too late, i'll need a new hdd too so i should just spring for the 2tb western digital external.

suggestions? because it IS an older 640 gig sata drive, could use updating anyway i guess.

I don't really want to say fixed yet, however, after formatting and running checkdisc, the external hasn't dropped once. checkdisc found no errors. now, i did NOT exaggerate when the issue first popped up, it was non stop connecting and disconnecting literally ten/twenty times per minute non stop continuously.

in this case i am almost sure the external harddrive was "stuck" on the other pc like it felt it belonged to the other pc considering the temp folders created when i ran the windows updates on the other pc with the external attached.

for peace of mind, can anyone verify that this type of thing happens? software issue instead of dying harddrive and bad enclosure? if the harddrive stays happy, I will take carnageX's advice and invest in a better dock/enclosure in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom