Transfer HDD from laptop to empty laptop

PinetopRoss

Solid State Member
Hi-my friend has an Acer laptop-we want to transfer her HDD to a better laptop,which has no HDD at all.Can we do the switch(W10) to the better laptop without re-install or losing any files? We want to completely remove the HDD from one laptop,and put the HDD from IT into the better laptop,which has no HDD at all.

Hi-my friend has an Acer laptop-we want to transfer her HDD to a better laptop,which has no HDD at all.Can we do the switch(W10) to the better laptop without re-install or losing any files? We want to completely remove the HDD from one laptop,and put the HDD from IT into the better laptop,which has no HDD at all.

You can't do this as the hard drive has hardware linked SIDs (info linked to the hardware in the current laptop).

I would just do a back up of the data on another drive then format the HDD and reinstall Windows on it whilst in the new laptop

Also keep in mind, that if the Windows 10 is OEM...you can't legally transfer that to a new system.

But you did the free upgrade on the Acer laptop, correct? That means that copy of Windows is tied to that Acer laptop.

You would need to do a fresh install of Windows 10 on the new laptop, using the Windows key from the new laptop. You can't legally use the license key from the Acer system to activate Windows.

You can't transfer the licence, soblegally you can't do this.

But yes you can swap out hard drives, I have never encountered an issue since windows 7 was released.
I just make sure all the manufacturers drivers are removed before placing it in another computer.

OK,thanks.What I wanted to do is put her HDD into my HP laptop as the HP is a lot better than hers and I would give mine to her.O well,was a thought.She may buy a new HDD for mine and I would put 7 on it and then do the upgrade to 10,as normal.Thanks for all your replies guys.

Back
Top Bottom