Computer is crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim01

Beta member
My computer will run fine in windows(xp) but in games it will feeze up after random amounts of time. Usually within 5 minutes. I have: nvidia nforce2 K7N2 delta-L, geforce fx 5900 ultra, amd 3000+, 1 gig ram. Have installed all newest drivers for video and mobo. No IRQ conflicts, any ideas what the problem is?
Thanks.

Check your temperatures.. you may have a malfunctioning fan or maybe just not enough fans to begin with. Do you have any case fans? With a 5900 Ultra and a 3000+ your case is bound to get frighteningly hot under full load, which would definately occur when you start playing games.

Well my friend sujested turning my agp from 8x to 4x, and sure enough, it works fine. Guess the new mobo drivers arent perfect yet?... But its not crashing anymore. Thanks again.

Hardware accelaration (sound) is the usual cause of this prob.

Type <dxdiag> into Run (no <>) press enter and go to the sound tab. Then knock back the slider (acceleration) one or two notches, that usually fixes it.

Whats happening is the audio and video get out of sync (can't refresh buffer quick enough?) and freezes the cpu.

Most game crashes are SOUND related problems not gfx probs imo, its just that everyone always blames the gfx or agp drivers coz they forget that sound is a major part of gaming.

Heat build up is the other major cause.

hth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom