Would You Buy an 'Open Box' Laptop?

koolx

Baseband Member
I saw a laptop with an Nvidia m980 being sold online at newegg for a good price. I'm interested in buying it but its sold as 'open box'. Would you buy it? Would you trust this purchase? Has any of you bought open box laptops from newegg or anywhere else without any issues?

I would, and I have.

I've picked up a refurbished gaming laptop off of Newegg before, as well as bought used laptops (both standard and gaming). Haven't had any issues with them being open-box, refurb, or used yet.

I certainly would. Open Box just means that the laptop was returned and now the business cannot sell it as new because it's been opened. These typically still carry a full manufacturer's warranty from the date YOU purchase it plus still qualifies for any extended warranty or service plan options. As a person who works at a place that does this, I can tell you most of the ones we sell open box are because the person doesn't like a specific thing about the laptop, but there's nothing wrong with it. The unit then gets a full checkout to make sure hardware is good, reset back to factory settings, and then placed back on the sales floor.

It can go either way. You can get an object that literally was never opened or used and marked open box because it was sold, or you can get an object that was defective, returned, they didn't notice the issue and resold it. My best friend got 2 9q Swift monitors this way and was pissed.

To be fair, you can get a brand new in the box item that comes out that way, too. Nothing is 100%, but it's less likely if the inspection is done properly by the folks performing the open box certification.

I buy lots of stuff like that, and not just IT stuff.
As far as I am concerned as long as I get the same warranty as a new item and it is not dead on arrival. Then it is a good item
I built my gaming PC with 90% used/returned items, and built a good rig, and saved about 30%. Meaning I got a better spec rig for my cash.

I have steam & carpet cleaners, vacuums and other electrical stuff that was open box, and had no issues.

As you can tell I am tight old git lol. I do prefer the term thrifty and resourceful instead though lol

To be fair, you can get a brand new in the box item that comes out that way, too. Nothing is 100%, but it's less likely if the inspection is done properly by the folks performing the open box certification.
The monitors he bought new came in perfect shape.

There are some variables that can't be tested out. Therefor an open box item gives you a 50/50 chance of getting a faulty item. You have a higher chance of getting a good item new.

I buy lots of stuff like that, and not just IT stuff.
As far as I am concerned as long as I get the same warranty as a new item and it is not dead on arrival. Then it is a good item
I built my gaming PC with 90% used/returned items, and built a good rig, and saved about 30%. Meaning I got a better spec rig for my cash.

I have steam & carpet cleaners, vacuums and other electrical stuff that was open box, and had no issues.

As you can tell I am tight old git lol. I do prefer the term thrifty and resourceful instead though lol
I buy used parts usually for PC stuff too, or car parts. Then again if the seller is honest they are selling a perfectly good item at reduced cost because it's used. There is at least one tester in the line and it was proven to work. Open box on the other hand you never know. If it's a heavy or bulky item sometimes you wasted the money you saved by shipping the bad item back.

Back
Top Bottom