i7 950 upgrade time

I'm with PP on this one, Only had one Gigabyte MB which I built a system for my father with, worked for a few months then stopped booting up, Tested all hardware and the MB was the only thing I couldn't get to work at all. Got a RMA and sent it to Gigabyte in the original box. Got it back a few weeks later supposedly fixed in some random MB box poorly packed and wouldn't you know it, It STILL wouldn't work. Ended up just installing a spare MB I had and he used that until his next upgrade. Never want to deal with Gigabyte just for there customer support or lack of.

There's actually a huge thread hating on Gigabyte RMA on TPU. Oddly enough, the second and last GB board I owned still works....I think. I'll probably never see it again though.

I mean, I'm not saying the board will be bad at all. Their boards are typically pretty good, at least the ones I had from yesteryear. My BIGGEST deal with them is their customer service and shoddy RMA practices. Even as a reviewer of product I got treated bad by them. Then they got mad at me for reflecting that experience in the review, so it's whatever. MSI treated me badly too because their PR guy at the time was a dick and that's why I personally don't buy them....but their gear is generally good too. I try not to let my personal experiences like that bias suggestions in good product, but Gigabyte is known globally for their bad practices so I just iterate that where I can.

My other issue is with the price. That's a very expensive mainstream board even for Canadian money. I mean this MSI board is pretty nice for sub 200.

Although not as many USB fancies, this Gigabyte is cheaper with similar features.

You have the ASSRock Extreme4 in the same price bracket too.
Buy AMD and Intel Motherboards at NCIX.com

Back
Top Bottom