does it make sense to partition an SSD?

Thanks!

With an HDD I used to partition to have a C drive for the OS and a D drive for other software. I think I read somewhere that an HDD performs better/faster that way?
But since an SDD is faster to begin with, I figured partitioning would not be sensible.

It's actually not faster, in fact in theory it should be slower as the drive has to move the head more to seek OS files and the program files from the other partition.

Well in the case of an SSD it makes no difference either way because it's flash, no moving parts. Seek times for any cell will be the same because the controller indexes where everything goes. Like I said, partition only if you have a specific reason.

I have my SSD partitioned on my 98box so Windows will install on C:\ and all my extra files are on D:\.

Would there be any advantage in partitioning the SSD to have one partition of the OS only and to have the other partition for all other software?
or would it be the same to have the OS and all other software on one non-partitioned SSD?

Would there be any advantage in partitioning the SSD to have one partition of the OS only and to have the other partition for all other software?
or would it be the same to have the OS and all other software on one non-partitioned SSD?

If a partition corrupts, then it reduces losing all data at once..

If you separate OS, data and software then its even better.. buts its all optional.

SSD are very reliable compared to HDD, but I do partition (as I like to be very organised and helps with backups).

If I cared about backups I'd rather have one partition backup to an image to my server weekly, but that's just me. Your **** dies? Reimage. Virus? Reimage. That seems a bit more simple to me.

Back
Top Bottom