whats wrong with my pc?

Are you able to boot into the system still? If so, please run a disk check by doing the following:

Start -> type 'cmd' (without quotes) -> right click -> run as admin -> in the console window that pops up type:
chkdsk C: /f /r
Press Enter and it will say it cannot lock the current drive and to run on next reboot. Type Y and hit Enter -> Reboot your computer and let it run through the check (it may take some time, depending on how big your HDD is).

I would think if it was your hard drive, you'd get a "boot disk error"
On a pc at that age, I would check the board for bad capacitors or get the power supply tested or just replace it

Last edited:
I would think if it was your hard drive, you'd get a "boot disk error"
On a pc at that age, I would get the power supply tested or just replace it

The restarting by itself tells me it could be a BSOD, but the message not displaying on the screen due to automatic restart. Eventually being able to get in but freezing at startup kinda points to possible HDD as well; at least bad sectors or screwed up structure - both of which a chkdsk will help remediate (at least marking off bad sectors for non-use).

It could be a couple of problems, I was thinking maybe it could be a heatsink/thermal paste problem and it was overheating but I don't think it restarts when it overheats, it turns off

I would tend to think that there could be an issue with windows boot file, which could contribute to a bad sector at the beginning of the drive. Testing the drive with another pc in dos is the better option.The power supply must get an o.k. signal from the board before it can boot into windows. I can't recall the exact number but it is in milliseconds. If there's something bad on the board or power supply, you'd get a scenario where it attempts to boot but fails until you give it continuous tries till the power supply gets an o.k. signal from the board. Either the psu fails to get that signal or the board can not provide the o.k. signal in the proper amount of time

Last edited:
But according to OP it's not failing on POST...it's just restarting when it tries to boot - and is sometimes able to get in.

Besides, a chkdsk is cheaper than replacing a PSU if it's not needed ;).

Not disagreeing with doing a check disk. It's a very good idea.
I didn't see where the OP stated that it posted and would not boot, (shows the windows screen, and restarts)

That part is kind of an assumption I suppose - but OP states he's eventually able to get into Windows sometimes...but locks up. At that point not sure if the PSU would be at fault.

We are looking at a pc that's 9-10 yrs old. It could be the drive, board or psu... or even the memory (although I'd think there would be a beep code)

What isn't wrong with your PC.

If its freezing while in windows and no bluescreen error its either the HDD or Mobo.

If rebooting while post if could be the PSU or Mobo. HDD would process an error.

If those 2 happen and you get BSOD ontop of that, its the processor.

Back
Top Bottom