Video Cards from AMD/ATI not working

tmarquesbr

Solid State Member
Hi,

I recently bought a XFX Radeon R3 250 1GB DDR3 to change my old GeForce 9800 GT after 14 months turned off. When I turned the computer on, it really was working, but wasn't generating video signal. I decided to go to the vendor and check if it was running. The test confirmed: this GPU was working normally. I changed to XFX Radeon R7 360 2GB GDDR5 and tested in my computer, but it was doing the same result. The power was on, the graphics card was working, but wasn't generating video. To test if the result was happening with the AMD/ATI cards, I took an older ATI Radeon, from 2006, which I was holding in my deposit, and it really happened again. But when I insert the NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT back to the computer, this one was working normally. In other words: the problem was happening strictly with AMD/ATI cards. I decided to look for some tips and I tried these ones with the following results:

- Uninstalled Nvidia drivers (nothing happens)
- Udpated the ATI Catalyst Control and its drivers, since I have an A8-3850 installed (nothing happens)
- Tried to use the DVI and HDMI on Motherboard to install the drivers (this solution will not send video signal for some unknown reason)
- Disabled the "supposed to exist" IGD Graphics Card on BIOS, since Windows can't recognize it (This solution backfired. Not only failed to send video signal but also forced me to reset BIOS manually)
- Check the power cords (The R7 360 needs to be plugged) and the PSU specs (Apparently, there's nothing wrong as the GPU is running fans normally in all cards)
- Operate with only one stick of System RAM (nothing happens)

For now, I really can't find any reason and solution for it, so I'm here asking if someone can help me out. Thanks in advance.

I don't know if this works, but these are the specs of my computer:
Motherboard Kronnus A55M
8GB DDR3 RAM
AMD A8-3850
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT 1GB (This video card gave me a chance to try all the tips related to Windows and BIOS)
Cougar 600W

Please tell the OS your using.

Just a thought. How did you delete the Nvidia drivers,etc? Sometimes they don't delete completely and you have "residual" Nvidia stuff on the PC that messes up your Catalyst AMD driver download/installs. You may need to use software to find and delete the old Nvidia stuff and the messed up Catalyst stuff as well. I think its called DDD or Revo uninstaller something like that. After deleting all graphics drivers from Nvidia and AMD you should have native windows drivers that work well enough if you plug in a monitor tot he MOBO video outputs to re-download catalyst drivers appropriate for the AMD graphics card.

I found the link to the software: Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 15.7.3.1

The OS installed at this moment is Windows 10. But the problem started waaay back on Windows 7 SP1, since it was udpated a week ago (and it can't turn back now by my own choice)

arcerinpa, I used the instructions descibed at XFX's FAQ and at the manual's description regarding the issue. I'll try it using Display Driver Uninstaller during after midnight (that means, for me, in 5 hours) and come back with the results.

If it's happened with multiple OS's I don't see it being a software problem.

I tried the Display Driver Uninstaller and tried to turn on with the AMD again. There are 2 situations:

- When the GPU is on and connected through HDMI or DVI, the computer acts like it's not even booting. I could noticed because pressing (not holding) the Power Off button is turning off computer instantly (which is not supposed to happen) and the keyboard's lights aren't being turned on by me. I thought it happened only once, but it's clearly happening every time. I'll try again with the older ATI to see if this proceeds.

- When the GPU is not attached to the MOBO, the computer works fine and even sends video signal.
EDIT: It worked on first try, when I tried to go to BIOS. Then, after that, this didn't work anymore, even when I tried to go on without saving.

Last edited:
...just to make sure, you aren't plugging the monitor into the motherboard graphics port correct? You ARE plugging it into the connection on the dedicated GPU, correct?

It's highly improbable that the issue is the GPU, but most likely the motherboard or PSU.
Could be a conflict between the motherboard having integrated AMD Graphics and an AMD Graphics card being installed...

c0rr0sive, I'm certain of that. It's connected to the GPU. I've tried from the motherboard, but the only moment it worked was this one I reported, so it's like a almost no-go connecting on motherboard.

I know this will sound stupid, but one thing crossed my mind with c0rr0sive's suspect. Is it the Motherboard doing some kind of Dual Graphics process and making it fail? I mean, this is an AMD IGD (HD 6550D) and AMD GPU (R9 360) situation, so maybe...I don't know...the MOBO thinks it's possible to use the process and this is making the computer fail.

Last edited:
Just for giggles, Plug he monitor into the on board and see if it works with the R9 init, if it works then the MB is using the default settings, It's been a while but if this is the case it must be disabled and in control panel see which GPU is listed and if it's not the R9 right click and hit disable and should go to the R9

Back
Top Bottom