New build

Of coarse, it could be the fact that the win7 OS is OEM and he is trying to put it in a new PC ( well new case, MOBO, CPU, and RAM but same Hard drive, CD, GPU) . I don't know. I told him to buy a new OS ,but he wanted to at least try first.

OK - I think there is more issues than that. I am actually trying myself now rather than via hear say. Tried booting myself "normally" after being in bios and saw a blue screen that flashed instantly and then it made the system reboot which brought you back to screen that asked if you wanted to boot normally or in repair mode. Then tried in repair mode and that when the USB's shutdown.

Different hardware profile for Windows 7. You have a 50/50 shot of being able to just switch the drive over...I've only ever seen it work with Win7 Pro. You're gonna have to reinstall the OS from scratch if it's BSOD'ing on startup from being in a different machine, as there's no "repair" option to get rid of the old hardware profile. Even running Sysprep before swapping the drive doesn't always work.

Well- we got it. First using a PS2 keyboard/mouse to boot win7 repair - it failed. Then rebooted into bios and set boot order to disc and with the PS2 keyboard and mouse to navigate we installed drivers from the included MSI MOBO disc to get the proper USB's drivers, chipset, etc. Then rebooted and did a fresh install of win7 from his original WIn7 home disc which did not erase all his custom game folders,etc. Then rebooted into Bios and set boot order back to HDD, rebooted then could use regular mouse/keyboard and Win7 worked. We just reinstalled the latest catalyst beta drivers for the 290 GPU and I think he is under control.

I suggested he update bios as he is on version 1.0, 1.7 is the latest Bios version, but I think he is gun shy and feels he dogged a bullet already.

It's not a fresh install if there isn't a partition wipe. So basically all you did was a glorified repair on the current install to give the OS the new machine code.

It's not a fresh install if there isn't a partition wipe. So basically all you did was a glorified repair on the current install to give the OS the new machine code.

If he did an in-place install it's still a fresh install, just moves everything to Windows.old.

Which technically isn't fresh as the drive isn't wiped and the rest of the folders retained besides Windows. That's taking a dirty shop rag to wax your car.

Well- it worked. Weather its a true fresh install or a fix- which is what I think we basically did. IT doesn't really matter..

So if he purchased a new drive- SSD or even regular HDD , install it in the new PC and loaded his Win7 home basic on it - again using the code on the box ( not sure it would install on completely new drive) - but since he is installing it in the same PC as the OS is already working in, if you called MS would they give him a new code for that install? Seems like a lot of work and hassle for $100. But, I am not in the same financial shape as he is.

If he did get a real fresh install on a drive on the new PC. Then moved his files/games over to it from the old drive that has the "fixed" win7 on it currently, then Wiped the old drive, then moved the files/games back to the old wiped clean HHD and kept the OS on the new drive ( SSD ) then he would be solid with games and older files on the the older HHD and the SSD for the OS?

If he clones it wont it be just " wiping it with a dirty rag " still? He was having difficulty updating win7 even before he decided to build the new PC - don't think he has updated it for nearly a year.

Meh, I never update Windows and when some slip by they cause me issues. Like my current not having any USB 3 issue.

It's up to him whatever he decides to do. Want to fresh install? Then wipe the partitions and start from scratch. Either that or buy an SSD, clean install on that, and delete everything except what he wants to keep on the HDD.

How true- Especially with some the win7 updates that are really just prep/marketing for win10 - including icons, etc. = irritating!!

Back
Top Bottom