My system specs are:
Intel core i3 3220
sapphire radeon hd 7850 1gb
2x4 gb of hyperx savage ram
550W viper power supply
500gb wd blue
some asus lga 1155 motherboard
cooler master elite 335U case

What should I upgrade first and to what?
I can only upgrade one part currently though.
Also, I'm doing strictly gaming on this pc ☺

Last edited:
In the Order

Hard Drive upgrade to a SSD
Video Card Upgrade to an Nvidia 970 or 980
Power Supply upgrade to a 750W 80plus or higher wattage

(All parts will be needed before this swap)
16GB (MINIMUM) DDR4 G Skill Ripjaw RAM
Z170 Type Motherboard (AsRock has high end range for the 180 mark)
Intel Core I5 6600K
Cooler Master Nepton 240M liquid Cooler
Artic Silver Thermal Paste

Case can remain the same.

Wrong. Upgrade PSU first, then upgrade GPU. This guy clearly doesn't have the budget to do a massive overhaul and his i3 is plenty fine. The PSU is a piece of trash and will go pop the instant he puts a load on it.

OP what's your budget for the first part?

You are right PP, I just copied his text and re-arranged.

PSU should be first or atleast before Graphics Card

Yea, I don't typically recommend a platform overhaul unless it's needed or the OP states they have such amount to do this. In this case an i3 is fine for gaming. I have a friend running a 780ti on the exact same chip. Ha, I think the same RAM too.

Wrong. Upgrade PSU first, then upgrade GPU. This guy clearly doesn't have the budget to do a massive overhaul and his i3 is plenty fine. The PSU is a piece of trash and will go pop the instant he puts a load on it.

OP what's your budget for the first part?

dont really have a big budget, I was thinking of going with a r7 370 how big of an upgrade would that be? Should i just wait for pascal/polaris gpus to come out?

You first need to get a quality PSU. A price budget is better suited.

what wattage and manufacter do you recommend? I live in a **** country in terms of electronics so no corsair, seasonic or evga here, we have cooler master, antec, cheiftec, thermaltake of the more known manufacters.

Then maybe you should update your location to reflect that because I know Canada sells all those name brands. Out of all of those I'd probably chose a really good Thermaltake.

The 500W or 600W TR2,
Thermaltake TR2 Gold 500W SLI/CrossFire Ready Continuous Power ATX12V v2.31 / EPS v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified 5 Year Warranty Active PFC Power Supply Haswell Ready PS-TR2-0500NPCGUS-G - Newegg.com

Or the Toughpower 550W are all 3 good units.
Thermaltake Toughpower TPD-0550M - SLI/ CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Gold Certification and Semi Modular Cables Black Active PFC Power Supply Intel Haswell Ready (PS-TPD-0550MPCGUS-1) - Newegg.com

Links in US Newegg for reference of device.

If you absolutely had to get a Cooler Master, the V or VSM 550-650w.

dont really have a big budget, I was thinking of going with a r7 370 how big of an upgrade would that be? Should i just wait for pascal/polaris gpus to come out?

Getting an R7 370 is not a form of upgrade AT ALL.

I would not go below a 950 at any cost.
Here would be the best budget.
EVGA GeForce GTX 950 02G-P4-2951-KR 2GB GAMING, Silent Cooling Gaming Graphics Card - Newegg.ca

I would be looking at a safe upgrade to at least 750w.

Yes you can go to a 550 however if you want to keep upgrading further along, the 750w will allow you to overhaul everything without upgrading again.

Cooler Master V Series 750W Compact Fully Modular 80 PLUS Gold Power Supply (6th Generation i5/i7 Skylake Ready) - Newegg.ca

Also an upgrade to an SSD will be night and day for you.
Samsung EVO 850. No need to go for pro.

SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E500B/AM - Newegg.ca

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom