62gb micro usb lost?!

MrFrance

Beta member
I came across a 62 gb micro usb which i plugged in my laptop through an adapter, and have been trying to format it to put linux on it for a while now (had nothing on it).. but when i try to open it, it says you need to format the disk in drive D before you can use it.. if i hit cancel it says "D is not accessible. The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted." when i try to format it (to fat and to ntfs) it says windows was not able to complete the format. when i check for errors in properties it says the disk check could not be performed because the disk is not formatted. permissions is set to full control. ive gone to regedit and made a new key blah blah..ive downloaded M3 data recovery and having heard its a raw drive i click raw drive recovery.. when i try to recover it, it says, "Failed to fix RAW drive, please use Data Recovery mode to recover data from RAW drive." so im thinking okay theres no data on it but whatever you say.. and of course it says data not found. this usb is either really stubborn or lost... i have no fricken clue how it got this way and no fricken clue on how to get it back.. ANY feedback would be oh so appreciated!

okay i dont know much about "volumes" but i think a corrupted volume or deleted volume might have something to do with it

I'm not sure if it detects flash drives, but CopyWipe is the best tool for wiping hard drives. It's marked as obsolete on their page, but that's only because it's added to their other commercial tools.

Alternatively try TestDisk

Step by step documentation in that link too if you get stuck, saved ma bacon many times. Best way I've found to use it is outside windows - so either a linux live cd or a mac if you have one.

I came across a 62 gb micro usb which i plugged in my laptop through an adapter

Just a heads up...usually never a good idea to plug in an SD Card or flash drive that you just randomly find somewhere. Especially with things like BadUSB as a possibility.

Just a heads up...usually never a good idea to plug in an SD Card or flash drive that you just randomly find somewhere. Especially with things like BadUSB as a possibility.

First thing I was going to write when I read this :cool:

I would just suggest you bin it, and run a scan on your system!

You said it was empty when plugged in before you tried the format, it could of had hidden files on it that could of excuted without your knowledge (spyware, viruses, RAT etc).

haha well i came across it in my brothers "abandoned" garage so i would doubt any viruses etc would be on it but hey ill be sure to run a scan! (so far no issues, thanks for the heads up though!)

Back
Top Bottom