Replacing HDD with SSD in Dell laptop, worried about Windows activation ?

I used the Magician software for my Samsung drive, so it's a personal choice.
It will auto set the settings for things like disabling defrag and such, or you can do all that for your self, There are several options for how you want it set up. Max performance, Max Capacity, or Max Reliability. And there's an option for Optimization ( I think that runs the Trim command manually?), setting the Over Provisioning and updating the firmware

If you should decide to use the Samsung Magician software, you should get the latest version available, and update the firmware
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

Last edited:
Only reason I have the Magician software installed is for firmware updates.
yup... updated the software for my own pc last night to version 4.9.5 and after that there was a firmware update. Last week I had a Windows 10 pc that I installed a Samsung drive into and the older software version on the disk (4.9.0) did not work with Windows 10, had to get the newest version for 10.

Thanks. Do i need the intel RST service ? - i mean is there any benefit in getting it on my laptop with SSD ?

Thanks. Do i need the intel RST service ? - i mean is there any benefit in getting it on my laptop with SSD ?
near as I can tell... get the Intel RST driver. It's for Raid but I've heard that it also provides AHCI drivers which are better than the default Microsoft AHCI driver

Well the replacement procedure went smooth. The SSD is working fine. (I used the Samsung recommended Data Migration software to clone disk before replacement)
I have a question though: Should i disable the page file ? (pagefile.sys is of 200MB, RAM:8 GB - RAM usage goes near 100% when i use my virtual machines).

Last edited:
I have a question though: Should i disable the page file ? (pagefile.sys is of 200MB, RAM:8 GB - RAM usage goes near 100% when i use my virtual machines).

No, especially if you're using most or all of your RAM.

Back
Top Bottom