Building a New Gaming Desktop (Already purchased)

Rider

Destroyer of Borst's Mom
House was robbed early December shortly after moving in. Jerks got all my electronics. I have an awesome security system w/ cameras now. I was originally thinking of just replacing the laptop with a great gaming one but I feel secure enough now to go with a desktop.

Because I want to game on the 1440p monitor and with ultra or damn close to it settings I went with this build. I will be streaming, and may mess around with video editing.

The plan is to just grab the one 980 ti and when the pascal cards are out, I'll grab a couple of those and replace the 980 ti.

I originally was going to go with the z170 mobos and an i7 6700K build but was convinced that x99 and i7 5820K is still the best way to go for performance and will be for awhile.

I am only snagging one ssd for 512gb. I don't really save a lot of media. Outside of Windows 10 and some saved games I won't have much else saved. If I do get into video editing and need space then I'll probably pick up a 850 Pro 1TB ssd.

Please refrain from criticizing my choices. A lot of thought was put into this and I consulted with several people. At the end of the day its my money. I just want to share this build to the community and get feedback.

Core Build ($2941 USD)
CPU: i7-5820K Haswell-E
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX
Motherboard: MSI X99A XPOWER AC
Memory: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB
Video Card: MSI GTX 980Ti GAMING 6G GOLDEN EDITION
Power Supply: EVGA 120-G2-1000-XR
Case: Corsair CC-9011073-WW
Monitor: Dell S2716DG (1440p/144hz)

Additional Stuff ($524 USD)
Keyboard: CM QuickFire Rapid-i (Brown switch)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB
Headset/Mic: SteelSeries Siberia Elite Prism
Flight Stick: Saitek X52 Pro

Great build, I might have picked a few things slightly different but that's only on personal preference, But a great build and I'm a tad jealous lol.

If you don't want to be criticised on decisions then what kind of feedback were you expecting posting in the new build section?

I just don't want people to be jerks and be like, "Omg that 950 pro is such overkill lulz you idiot"

Great build, I might have picked a few things slightly different but that's only on personal preference, But a great build and I'm a tad jealous lol.

Thanks man! Looking really forward to it. I have never had a gaming desktop like this before. The last couple I have built in the past were never "near top of the line" they were always moderate budget desktops and I had to make compromises.

My decisions are more towards logic rather than something like the SSD. I'm all for fast SSDs, *points to rig SSD*, even if it doesn't make much of a difference over SATA based SSDs.

I was thinking more like, why get a 700 dollar model of 980ti when one can be had closer to 600 if you're going to sell it later, or a 400 dollar motherboard.

Idk, I really don't see the point in 6 cores anymore unless you need to transcode or do CAD work. X99 platform is also kind of pointless unless you need PCI-E lanes too.

House was robbed early December shortly after moving in. Jerks got all my electronics. I have an awesome security system w/ cameras now. I was originally thinking of just replacing the laptop with a great gaming one but I feel secure enough now to go with a desktop.

I am sorry to hear you got robbed, it certainly sucks when someone is desperate for stuff they have to steal from people who work really hard for what they have.

I originally was going to go with the z170 mobos and an i7 6700K build but was convinced that x99 and i7 5820K is still the best way to go for performance and will be for awhile.

I do believe your first choice was better

I am only snagging one ssd for 512gb. I don't really save a lot of media. Outside of Windows 10 and some saved games I won't have much else saved. If I do get into video editing and need space then I'll probably pick up a 850 Pro 1TB ssd.

If you wish to get into Video Editing and keep moving on, I would simply recommend picking a WD Black.
This will cost you the same price but will allow you to store much more videos and and you simply will need to have the video on your SSD while you are editing it.
WD Black 5TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 128MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD5001FZWX - Newegg.com

Please refrain from criticizing my choices. A lot of thought was put into this and I consulted with several people. At the end of the day its my money. I just want to share this build to the community and get feedback.

We will critize your choices because that is feedback. The whole idea of feedback is to tell you what you could of done better.

Core Build ($2941 USD)
CPU: i7-5820K Haswell-E
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX
Motherboard: MSI X99A XPOWER AC
Memory: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB
Video Card: MSI GTX 980Ti GAMING 6G GOLDEN EDITION
Power Supply: EVGA 120-G2-1000-XR
Case: Corsair CC-9011073-WW
Monitor: Dell S2716DG (1440p/144hz)

Additional Stuff ($524 USD)
Keyboard: CM QuickFire Rapid-i (Brown switch)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB
Headset/Mic: SteelSeries Siberia Elite Prism
Flight Stick: Saitek X52 Pro[/QUOTE]

I must give you props on the Storage and memory, certainly great choices there.

I would however simly have gone with the 6th generation and a Z170
Certainly would not have gone with Corsair for Liquid Cooling. Cross your fingers they will honor the warranty when it leaks.

The 980TI is certainly a great choice but I do not deal with MSI for parts so no feedback.

I do believe your first choice was better

There's no clear winner and I created a topic on Reddit that got a bit of a discussion going. Either way was fine.

If you wish to get into Video Editing and keep moving on, I would simply recommend picking a WD Black.
This will cost you the same price but will allow you to store much more videos and and you simply will need to have the video on your SSD while you are editing it.
WD Black 5TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 128MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD5001FZWX - Newegg.com

Thanks, I'll look into this in the near future.

I must give you props on the Storage and memory, certainly great choices there.

I would however simly have gone with the 6th generation and a Z170
Certainly would not have gone with Corsair for Liquid Cooling. Cross your fingers they will honor the warranty when it leaks.

The 980TI is certainly a great choice but I do not deal with MSI for parts so no feedback.

Thanks. The m.2 ssd is awesome and is so small. It pops right into the mobo as if it was part of it. From what I've read/research it seems like MSI has produced the best 9 series gpus. I really like their design too. the 980 ti I have is absolutely the best looking gpu I've ever seen

Here's an album with about 15 photos of the build progression.

I need to add 1 more image later tonight of the final desk setup with the flight stick and everything.

http://imgur.com/a/hFqX8

Back
Top Bottom