Deciding on what MB.

ckop11

In Runtime
Got the upgrade bug and my dad needs a new work computer to replace his laptop, so im making him one using my old mb, cpu, and ram, then getting my self some new stuff

im going 6600k for the cpu
Thinking about this
GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
I like the layout, color, and leds plus the rebate is nice..

and maybe
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Gaming Motherboard - Newegg.com

but its kinda expensive and the gigabyte looks better with my theme.

Any thoughts on either of these? i think they have pretty much the same features (the ones i would use at least) Or maybe should i just build my dad a new full system and wait on the upgrade for some more boards to come out with the new cpus idk? im totally new to intel so bare with me

thanks

Out of the 2 I like the Asus better but that's there ROG series, friend got the ROG Z87 when I got mine, had a few extra bells and whistles but once the novelty wore off it was used just as mine is for a much higher price. I'm not a big fan of gigabyte, Had a MB few years back that had some issues, sent it in under warranty and it came back in a random box from a different MB and if they didn't just send the same one back saying it was repaired, needless to say it wasn't, wouldn't even boot up, switched it out for a cheap NB I had lying around and that lasted until I built my father a new system years later. Won't buy gigabyte again unless it's a cheap item like a add in card of sorts.

yeah thats what i was thinking, the rog is kinda pricey. prob because the things i likey wont use.. im gonna keep an eye for any deals on that one. then maybe get it, otherwise ill prob keep going back and fourth between these and some other ones until i decide.

Out of the 2 I like the Asus better but that's there ROG series, friend got the ROG Z87 when I got mine, had a few extra bells and whistles but once the novelty wore off it was used just as mine is for a much higher price. I'm not a big fan of gigabyte, Had a MB few years back that had some issues, sent it in under warranty and it came back in a random box from a different MB and if they didn't just send the same one back saying it was repaired, needless to say it wasn't, wouldn't even boot up, switched it out for a cheap NB I had lying around and that lasted until I built my father a new system years later. Won't buy gigabyte again unless it's a cheap item like a add in card of sorts.

I've never had issues with Gigabyte boards. Even had to send mine in for warranty one time, and it was back within a week.

You only pay for the ROG name really to have that fancy crap in your machine.

Gigabyte's warranty is rather ****.

I'd say get an ASRock or MSI. Just I wouldn't spend more than 200 on a mainstream board.

Yeah i hear great/bad things about gigabyte depending who i talk to. Ive only ever used MSI and Asus. My asus has been great granted its pretty old, but my buddy had nothing but problems with his same gen mb. Sometimes i think its just luck of the draw.

I saw a msi i liked (MSI MSI Gaming Z170A GAMING M5 LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com). It had everything i really needed.

This one goes great with my white/black theme and is saving me some cash. just a lil hesitant on the reviews. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130868&cm_re=krait-_-13-130-868-_-Product
prob leaning towards the gigabyte or msi now.

Last edited:
I really only ever hear horror stories about Asus' warranty. Good products...but **** customer service.

Im look at getting ASRock fatal1ty h97 killer, after advise from PP. will cost about £99 (cheapest so far)

Back
Top Bottom