Looking to build new gaming/software development desktop.

MikesthatGuy

Solid State Member
Hey everyone. Been lurking the forums for a long time now. I am just now getting around to building a new desktop gaming computer that I can also use for software development. What I want is a computer that can play most games on the highest settings (if possible). These are games like Guild Wars 2, Elite: Dangerous, Star Citizen, I am also looking into Black Desert. Mainly MMOs, too many games to list really. I would like to it last for years to come. I will eventually look into overclocking. Cooling is important to me. I am thinking of going with the GeForce GTX 970 GPU. Sorry if I didn't cover all the information you needed, let me know and I will tell you what you need to know. I would like it to be able to run multiple monitors as well down the road. I have one monitor now, but will be getting more soon. That cost is separate from the build cost. I already have a mouse, monitor, and keyboard.

I have a budget of around $1,000. Can go a little higher if I need to.

I know how to build the computer, I am just having a hard time getting a good, reliable build together.

Thank you for all the help I have gotten so far just from browsing the forums!

For $1000 you will be able to build a solid system, It's rather late and I've been m\shoveling snow most of the night so a little tired so If nobody puts together a good build for you I'll do it when I get up later this morning, The 970 will do well on the MMO's you play, I used to have a GTX770 that I sold to a friend when I upgraded and he only plays those types of games but mainly World of warcraft and he's been maxing the settings and the 970 does even better.

What kind of software development will you be doing, particularly what tools?

I will be working with Java and C++. My main tool right now is CodeBlocks and some Eclipse. I am in college for software development, and it is a hobby of mine, so I do it as much as I can. Still somewhat of a newbie at it though (If you know of any better ones, id be thankful). I also mess around with Unity some and been thinking of getting into seeing what the unreal engine can do.

Mainly this will be used for gaming, but I will also use it for honing my skills in software development.

Last edited:
Hmm my instinct is to tell you to go X99 for the coding but you should really use more budget for the GPU. Reason I'm saying this is because you have at least one heavy hitter in your list that won't last long with a 970. Also, if you plan to up your resolution from 1080p anytime soon the 970 won't do great for that either. So I guess what's more important right now, gaming or the coding?

I will be working with Java and C++. My main tool right now is CodeBlocks and some Eclipse. I am in college for software development, and it is a hobby of mine, so I do it as much as I can. Still somewhat of a newbie at it though (If you know of any better ones, id be thankful). I also mess around with Unity some and been thinking of getting into seeing what the unreal engine can do.
I'd recommend not using Eclipse...just because I think the interface is awful lol. Look into JetBrains IntelliJ IDEA - it's what Android SDK switched over to using for it's IDE, as well. +1 to Code::Blocks for C++ though - it's what I used while in college learning C++.

Mainly this will be used for gaming, but I will also use it for honing my skills in software development.

Like PP asked, decide which is more important at the moment: coding or gaming.

An i5 would be fine for coding (hell and i3 is fine even for small projects), but big projects will suck up RAM and lower-end CPU's will increase compile times. I did all my C++ development on a crappy Compaq laptop in college my first 2 years. And Java is a bit of a beast with memory. However, for Unity and Unreal...you'll also want a nice GPU to run & render games / levels you're developing.

More memory would have a bigger impact on development over a super-beefy CPU (that's why I said an i5 would be fine). We have dual-core i7-4600U's in our laptops at work and I can run several instances (3+) of Visual Studio, my 20+ browser tabs, SQL Server Management Studio, and other stuff without much issue. The killer was only have 8GB of RAM...I was always pegged out. Got 16GB in it now and it runs fine.

This is mainly web-app and desktop app development though...nothing near game development where I'd need a decent GPU and possibly better than a dual-core i7 w/ HT.

Ok was asking because my "brother in law" has a 6700 and he runs all kinds of development and such and says it was a huge upgrade. He barely uses half the CPU.

Hey everyone. To answer the question PP asked, it will be mainly for gaming. That is my main intent for the build. In the near future, as I previously stated, I want to run 2-3 monitors if possible as well.

Back
Top Bottom