CPU Thermal Throttling?

Spud5437

In Runtime
Hi all,

I have recently changed my stock CPU cooler to the Corsair H55 AIO and it has lowered my CPU temps considerably but not I'm having another issue.
The CPU is throttling when under a big load and from the temps I'm getting (should be attached) the CPU seems fine but the temps under the Nuvoton NCT6791D are just below 100c. Have I done something wrong here or what would be causing the problem?

As always thanks for the help

Attachments

• CPU.PNG
    CPU.PNG
    98.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Temps.jpg
    Temps.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 5
Did you mount the unit correct? Did you replace the stock TIM used? How do you have the fan and radiator oriented in your case? Is the fan set to max? What does Coretemp say? What are you using to put that weird load cycle on your CPU?

Hi,
As always cheers for the fast response.

I believe I did mount correctly – I followed the manual a youtube walkthrough.

Stock TIM? If you are referring to thermal paste I removed the old with isopropanol 99.9% and had everything clean before fitting new cooler which had pre-applied paste (not the best I'm sure but surely should be sufficient).

Fan and radiator are mounted as pre instructions – Fan mounted with supplied screws to the case at designated fan mounting with radiator mounted to fan. Fan is taking cold air in through the radiator.
I have set all fans to max in the BIOS.

Core Temp has max around 69 c - attached

I have used Heavyload, Prime95 and a handbrake conversion to test with the 3 bringing similar temps and similar CPU load graphs

Attachments

• Temps - Core Temp.PNG
    Temps - Core Temp.PNG
    26.1 KB · Views: 1
Use just one load at a time so they aren't fighting to do the same thing.

The stock TIM is pretty crap and acts like a blanket but that doesn't seem to be the issue. It looks like a speedstep issue or turbo issue maybe as at 100% load you're only at 800MHz. I'd go into your bios and make sure everything is set right. Is this a new CPU or just a cooler swap?

I only ran one at a time but checked all 3 to be sure of the readings.
Just a cooler swap, nothing else changed.
All looks ok in BIOS - I reset to default to be use it wasn't anything I had previously set up.

I'm at a lose to what is causing this - Thanks much for the help and hopefully you or someone else can help sort the problem.

When I run games (GTA5 / Assassin's Creed Syndicate) Processor doesn't go above 50% and seems to stay level.
I don't have 3D mark but am downloading the free demo now which I hope will provide the results you are after - if not let me know and I'll get the full version

Firestrike 1.1 score 9526
It didn't bring the processor about 25% in task manager.

When under heavy load testing which brings the CPU load cycle the 'ups and downs' are audible - just thought I would mention that

Attachments

• 3D Mark.jpg
    3D Mark.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 4
The Firestrike physics test uses 100% CPU. Guessing FPS there was around 35? It seems like it's running fine though.

Being audible as in the fan? Where do you have the fan and pump plugged into?

Hey,

Yes I was getting decent or expected FPS and indeed it was around 35.
Yes I can hear the fan rev up and down with the cycle on the graph.
I have the fan and pump plugged into the headers on the motherboard. I have a fan header coming of a cable coming for the power supply which is running a third fan which is drawing hot air out of the case which I can swap around if you think it might help or be worth trying? *All fans are working*

Back
Top Bottom