Aspiring new computer geek

svindle

Beta member
Hey,

I'm really interested in technology but haven't invested much time into learning about all of this stuff, so I'm hoping that this will change by viewing and posting on this forum fairly actively. Also really interested in gaming and saving up some money so I can upgrade from console by building my own gaming PC.

What are some things that I should get my head that is basic knowledge about computers and such?

That really depends on what you want to do with it... if you're wanting to be fairly self sufficient I'd pick up a A+ Cert book online and go over it... pretty much useless to me for the most part but it has a few good things in there (A lot for people who know little to nothing.)

If you're wanting to build computers, I'd get familiar with the main brands of CPU's GPU's and other hardware related companies. Remeber you can't put an AMD CPU in a Intel Motherboard. Learning compatibility is a must if you plan to build a PC.

There are loads of things really. I for one am going into Network security and Info sec. Which requires lots of learning how to code and how codes work, how Operating systems are build and operate. Basic Input output stuff...

Computing has a large range. Find something you enjoy, that you're interested in, and look into that. If you come across something you don't understand (which you will :silly: , research it. Find out what it means.
If you're interested in building your own PC, look at videos of how to do that. If you have an old, battered PC, take it apart, see how it works. I liked Neweggs videos on building a computer, which you might find useful for learning about the different parts and such. It is quite a nice video if you're new to computing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIF43-0mDk4

Back
Top Bottom