Overclocking CPU

CompT

Baseband Member
Hey, I need an explanation for overclocking. I have an i5-4690K I would like to overclock. I understand the basics of going into the BIOS, changing multiplier and volts, etc. However, I need a way to ensure the safety of my processor, so not to damage it. I have downloaded CPUID HWMonitor and AIDA64. How do I test to make sure my processor is stable? If it is not, how do I fix it?

Last edited:
I have the same CPU. All I did was go in, change the multiplier and the VCORE.

I set the multi to 46 (to get to 4.6GHz) and VCore to 1.25 - ran Prime95 for about a half hour without an issue. I wasn't able to go below 1.25v for mine though, otherwise I'd BSOD when I tried to log into Windows. YMMV for the volts...each CPU is different. AIDA64 is a good one to test as well - as long as you don't BSOD and your temps are fine for an extended period of time...you're good.

Just watch your temps - highest mine went to were 75-80C for a few seconds during an intense part of Prime). Averaged around 55-65C - but I'm also running watercooling though, as well (Corsair H110).

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK Motherboard and Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. Wanna overclock my processor because when I built my computer a year ago, I only though that I was going to use it for work, so I got ok parts, still work fine for some games though. I focus on gaming now and I have a few games that are cpu-intense (bf4, arma, etc.). Wanna improve performance.

Back
Top Bottom