Broken SATA data connector

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Ah, lovely. The L-shaped piece of the data connection to my WD 3TB drive has ceased to exist. I got into my case today and the SATA cable came running up to greet me as it had freed itself from the constant bondage of ferrying media from the drive to whoever wanted it. Needless to say this is not what I wanted to discover.

So. How can I fix this thing? I do not have another WD Red 3TB to pull the controller card from, and I do not solder. All the pins are there and intact.

Ah, lovely. The L-shaped piece of the data connection to my WD 3TB drive has ceased to exist. I got into my case today and the SATA cable came running up to greet me as it had freed itself from the constant bondage of ferrying media from the drive to whoever wanted it. Needless to say this is not what I wanted to discover.

So. How can I fix this thing? I do not have another WD Red 3TB to pull the controller card from, and I do not solder. All the pins are there and intact.

If I'm understanding, it's just the sata cable? Replace with new one, you can buy a bunch from eBay..

If the controller is damaged as well then I couldn't suggest how to fix that..

If you can manage to tape it temporarily..I'd say do that so you can at least retrieve the data off of it. You'll need to get a new controller card though (from what it sounds like) - unless you can convince WD to warranty the drive.

Basically this:

67idnb.jpg

Even if it was in warranty it would do me no good about the 2.6TB of media on the drive.

I have found a replacement controller on eBay, coming out of Germany. With shipping it will run me about $33. I may take a shot with it so I can save the drive.

EDIT: Warranty does not cover broken connectors.

Last edited:
So the L on the connector in the shot is broke. Some one got in that box and hit that connector. That is heavy enough plastic that it just doesn't snap on its own. The plug is flimsy and will break first.
Did by chance you drop the drive prior to installing it? That may have cracked it and it eventually broke off.

attachment.php

Last edited:
So the L on the connector in the shot is broke. Some one got in that box and hit that connector. That is heavy enough plastic that it just doesn't snap on its own. The plug is flimsy and will break first.
Did by chance you drop the drive prior to installing it? That may have cracked it and it eventually broke off.

attachment.php

No drops. It has been installed in my rig for three years.

My best guess is that the cable must have been under strain and that combined with the heat of the other components finally did it in.

Can't glue the L-connector back on?

I know warranty wouldn't do you any good about the data on the drive..that's why I suggested a way to get the data off first ;).

Unfortunately there is no L-connector to glue back on. I have no idea what become of it.

I was able to get it connected for now, though. So long as no one touches the drive or my desk I am good. Now to talk the wife into letting me order the controller.

Back
Top Bottom