CPU heatsink

SEE EDIT
Ok so I tried booting up my computer but I'm getting a CPU temperature error (too hot). One of the hoses is very warm, the other is pretty cool. The unit that sits on top of the CPU is very warm.

The fan seems to be working, and it is also very loud and makes a high pitched noise.

The fan is plugged into a 3-pin fan plug on the motherboard.

In the BIOS the cpu was at like 85 degrees..

Any ideas?

EDIT:
Rofl the unit that sits on top of the cpu wasn't even plugged in.. I don't see any available fan plugs on the motherboard, I might try unplug one and put the unit into that plug for now.

Would you guys make the fan an intake or an outtake fan?

DOUBLE EDIT:
It seems to be working well now. On idle the cpu temps are in the low 30s. I currently have it as an intake fan. I need to take a look at all my fans to see what they're doing because I'm pretty sure my top fan is unplugged (it used to make a lot of noise). I'll keep monitoring my temps.

TRIPLE EDIT:
the fan gets pretty noisy. The speed keeps going up and down under load, which makes it very noisy (sounds kinda like a weed whacker). Any ideas?

Last edited:
You need to set the pump on the CPU fan header and set it to max, then put the radiator fan as an exhaust blowing air through the rad and out of your case. Now put the radiator fan on a fan header that can be controlled by your motherboard and give it a set speed so it doesn't fluctuate.

Also, I really hope you changed the stock TIM to something better.

You need to set the pump on the CPU fan header and set it to max, then put the radiator fan as an exhaust blowing air through the rad and out of your case. Now put the radiator fan on a fan header that can be controlled by your motherboard and give it a set speed so it doesn't fluctuate.

Also, I really hope you changed the stock TIM to something better.

I went into the BIOS but I don't see any options allowing me to control fan speed. My BIOS is an Asus Express Gate I believe.

What does TIM stand for? EDIT: I did a search and TIM is thermal compound? I kept the stock one on there but I could go in and remove it and put on Arctic Silver 5 that I have from 2009 if that's better.

So for setting the fan as an exhaust, does it go fan -> radiator -> case? Or do I just flip the fan and keep it as radiator -> fan -> case? For the first one, I don't see how it works because the fan is held in place by screws going through it and screwing into the radiator, creating a sandwich keeping it in place.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
For easier cleaning you can do rad/fan/case with fan blowing out of case. Any dust collected on the rad can easily be cleaned off that way.

Asus Express Gate is not a bios. That's basically just a live OS.

The bios is where you configure everything for your motherboard. Even my old boards from 2004 had basic fan configuration for 3pin fans.

So I press delete and it enters me into the Bios Setup Utility, where I can do things like change the boot priority of devices, change voltages, etc.

I still cannot find where I can control the speed of fans (it allows me to change voltage of fans).

Here is my motherboard

Should I take pictures of my bios setup so you can see what I'm working with?

Last edited:
It's going to be Q-Fan control. Putting it on silent should be ok for stock CPU speeds. Just make sure whatever header your pump is plugged into is at full speed. Silent should be lowest, turbo should be highest.

For easier cleaning you can do rad/fan/case with fan blowing out of case. Any dust collected on the rad can easily be cleaned off that way.

+1 for this layout. Have this setup on my H110, and it made cleaning super easy. Just used a damp cloth to wipe the dust away from the rad and was done.

Thanks so much for your help.

I was able to find the setting to control the fans. The pump is plugged into one of the chassis fans and the rear fan is connected to the cpu fan. The wires are pretty short so this was the only way I could get them plugged in.

I changed the chassis fans to turbo and the cpu fan to silent and it's working great now, no loud noise.

I will switch the direction of the fan later on tonight.

That's not going to work. The way you have it the pump is not going to follow the CPU temps. It's going to run flat out constantly. That's going to reduce the MTBF dramatically.
You can get extension cables or make some to put the wiring in the correct locations. Check Newegg or any other shop that sells computer parts. Mod shops would be your best bet.

That's not going to work. The way you have it the pump is not going to follow the CPU temps. It's going to run flat out constantly. That's going to reduce the MTBF dramatically.
You can get extension cables or make some to put the wiring in the correct locations. Check Newegg or any other shop that sells computer parts. Mod shops would be your best bet.
No it's not. You don't want your pump to go up and down while your fan is set permanently to low. I've had my H50 since 2009 and always ran it flat out without issue. These pumps are made to do just that. The H100i uses software to control temps if you let it and the pump is always set to max while it uses the fans to control the temps. Custom loop pumps do the same thing because the instant you reduce flow rate your temps start to rise a great deal. Considering these pumps are a low flow and low pressure setup as it is reducing to anything other than max could make his chip heat up pretty bad.

Back
Top Bottom