Building P4 gaming system -- myriad of questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
You dont need any thermal paste, and incase you don't know, the cpu fan will have a thermal pad on the bottom so only peel off the sticker protecting it. You might want a fan for intake but other than that, your final configuration looks fine.

**You shouldn't need to buy any cables because the motherboard comes with all you should need.

Cables!?!?!? Yikes, didn't consider that at all! My hard drive, burner and floppy are all OEM without cables.

How do I know how long they need to be? Just guess based on general size of the case?

MY hard drive's SATA, so will this cable work? http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=12-105-911&depa=1 --it's 20 inches long, but there's another one available that's only 4".

My burner is ATAPI / E-IDE, and I don't have a clue what cable I need for this. IDE? HELP!!

Floppy is 34 Pin Standard Floppy Connector, and I can't even find that category at Newegg. MORE HELP!!!!

Sorry for the hysterics and the endless postings on this thread and thanks again for the help.

lazerman said:
The system I suggested is still so much faster than the one you chose that it will perform those tasks better as well. In most of those case where they say Intel is better for Multitasking and AMD is better for Gaming, they are using comparible systems. Like the AMD64 and The Prescott's with HT. With the system I suggested, you will do anything you want with ease.

lazer i'm aware you do your share of posting on this site, and have some time here...for that, i understand...

what you've said here is completely untrue...you're giving out wrong advice :)

just because you are an AMD freak doesn't mean you need to try to change the guys mindset and thoughts on Intel products.

For what he is looking to do, a P4 HT processor will dominate an AMD processor. Without a doubt.

also crud, since you are going with an Intel system...

may i suggest looking at a mobo that uses pci-e cards. for one, you can get setup quite cheap, and have an amazing gaming machine..

PM me if you want some Real advice from a guy that doesn't worship AMD.(these guys are clouding up your knoggin')

OK, looks like a complete overreaction to the cables. On the Asus website it lists the following as included:

2 x Serial ATA cable
2-Port USB2.0 / Game module
1 x UltraDMA 133/100/66 cable
IDE cable
FDD cable
I/O shield

So it looks like my SATA hard drive is covered, as well as my floppy (FDD = floppy I assume). But what about my DVD Burner which is "ATAPI / E-IDE" -- will an IDE cable work for that?

Yes those are all IDE cables (CD-Roms, DVD-Roms, etc..)...

Didn't see that it came with them... Some don't.

And for you rollincatera. I am not an AMD freak, I actually own 5 Intels ;). He is wanting a gaming computer. Anyone that has half a brain, or more, would know that amd is better than Intel for such. Regarding doing anything he wants with ease on the AMD system I proposed, that is absolutely true. The Intel will be better at Multitasking, but even then an Intel system equal to the system I suggested (performance wise) will cost alot more, and wont be near as good for gaming.

It is a toss-up between better gaming or better "other things," choose which one you will be doing more of and then consider prices. Expect to pay alot more for an Intel system than an AMD system. If you want to speak more one on one about this PM me so we aren't cluttering crud_tud's thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom