Um WTF Happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazerman

Fully Optimized
Well I was bored and I had an extra 80mm case fan lying around so double stacked one of my rear exhaust fans.. everything went fine. So I go into my bios to re-oc (my bios defaults when the computer is unplugged) and I set my frequencies to 142x10.5 like usual, then i save which reboots it. I wanted to see if it made any difference in the temperature so I quickly hit del and entered my bios and selected pc health options. It showed 43 degrees celsius which is 2 degrees celsius cooler than before so I compliment myself for that... I go into my frequency settings and wtf, I now have the ability to set my cpu vcore? I have never been able to do this. So I up my vcore .1 and make it 142x11 and then i save it. When I go back into the bios to check the temps after the oc, wtf I don't have the option to change vcore anymore. So own downclock it so it's Prime95 stable and that's where I am now. Can anyone tell me what just happened?

EDIT: Now for the Vcore option it says tio which is what it has always said... I assume that is default or is it something else?

I have tried updating my bios before.... never worked; always got an unknown bios error. Could it be like some sort of memory build up?

i dunno what's going on, but when you stack fans, it doesn't increase the rpm's or air flow, one of those fans might have been faster (which helped to lower the temp) otherwise I understand it as the fact that you had just restarted your computer and the temps won't change in the bios (not a heavy load) after running windows, then checking your temps in the bios, you'll see a difference....

I know there is a difference, I could have just started the computer with my previous fan setup and have had the cpu at 45 degrees celsius... This time it started at 42-43... 42 at the very beginning then went up to 43 during about a 1 minute idle period.

Well I've even tried it myself and read an article or two on the subject of "fan stacking" and they all read the changes are different. That's the reason I was saying the new fan you added may run faster which is pushing the older fan quicker and taking in more air..

*edit* search "fan stacking" on google, you'll find a ton of articles, it'll probably be 1/2 and 1/2 but maybe you can get help from any articles that come up

I got 2 fans stacked on my computer and when I first did it, it definitely makes an increase in airflow...there's no way it can't...it's two fans running...the fan that is on the bottom of the airflow does get increased somewhat. It works well for me in having it as an exhaust.

Well I remember reading about this a long time ago, how having two fans the same speed will do very little if anything. I haven't tested it fully yet because anyone who ever talked about it had bad results.. 2 people out of 17,000 member forum have had good luck - I'll try it!! I've always thought of it as two boat motors (which would obviously add more power) Just haven't read anywhere that it works well, if anything it probably only adds at 15-20% increase, that's not bad at all (if it ends up working for you)

Guys I'm not trying to be mean or anything but can we talk about the fans and cooling somewhere else... I am mainly interested in how this happened in the first place.

Well I remember reading about this a long time ago, how having two fans the same speed will do very little if anything.
Are you sure that you weren't reading something that confirms it doesn't just double the CFM? Because no it won't double the CFM just because you add to fans, but you WILL get an increase in airflow..that's a given...

It's common sense...to fans will produce more airflow than just one..

You can feel the increase air coming from the fans so it's not a debate whether you get an increase or not because you do...and it's not 'little to anything at all' either. It's not necessarily double CFM like I said though, but by the time the second fan starts to throw out the air it's already traveling quicker and much cooler.

I am mainly interested in how this happened in the first place.
Sorry lazer..can't say that any info you've given has lead to any specific causes.

Are you sure you didn't change something from Auto to User Define?

That would be the only way I could think of that option suddenly becoming available, but I've never heard of an option available for one try and then it just stops =/

I changed absolutely nothing :(. This is uber weird.... I want to be able to change my VCORE! I am thinking it could be pastbuildup of trying to flash the bios. None of them everworked.... I pretty sure that's what it is. The new bios' are fighting to work :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom