PC wont detect Wireless networks anymore

Omega Contagion

Solid State Member
So this is an interesting problem.

I recently upgrade my graphics card. Before I upgraded I was able to use my dlink ac3200 router plus an extender to get amazing range into a separate building from where my router is set up. After I installed a new graphics card the extender didn't seem to have the same affect.

I brought my pc into the same building as the router and could connect no problem. Also other devices all of a sudden no longer connect to the extender. My Xbox 1, my samsung galaxy 5, neither will connect to any network in the other building.

Now i bought a new extender, same problem not the same range. I've currently got my pc right beside the router and for a day or so I was able to connect wirelessly to the router. NOW all of a sudden my PC doesn't detect any networks. It will only work if I have it hardwired in.

Much confusion going on.

The graphics card I upgraded to was the ASUS gtx 970 mini.
My onboard network adapter is Ralink RT5390R 802.11bgn
I have the most recent drivers for both.

I'm checking the firmware for the router now.
Most confusion part is that it USED to work just fine. Then out of no where it stopped giving me the range.

I've looked into changing channels on my router but don't know which channel to switch it to.

Thanks for your time.

Edit: Firmware is all up to date.

If you're having issues with other devices, then I'd say that a coincidence of you installing your GPU and not being able to connect.

Reboot the main router by power cycling it (unplugging it for about 30 seconds, and re-plugging it in).

No only my pc can't see the network. And believe me, I've power cycled everything several times. Even did factory resets on both modem and router. Nothing I do seems to fix why my PC isn't seeing the networks.

Where did you get network drivers from? Did you try getting them from RaLink's website rather than your mobo manufacturer's site?

Does Device Manager even detect your network devices? If so, are they working properly according to Device Manager?

after your router reboot can your devices connect for a short period? But just not your PC? Im asking this because if they all can and not your PC, then after awhile they all cant aswell, it may be a issue with your router hardware and PC drivers, so you may have two issues there.

If the other devices can connect now, but not to the extender, then you may need to reboot the extender and reconfig it.

Hey guys,

So i kind of gave up on trying to fix it while I played the Black Desert beta haha, just stayed hard wired into the router. Now all my devices seem to be working again. My xbox connects and i get full mbps. My pc now detects the networks, but for some reason wont connect to the router. It connects to the extender, and it works. It also connects to the modem its self. Its a modem/router combo.

I've looked into setting my router to bridge mode but it doesn't have that option. I can only have it as router or AP. Should I use router mode or AP mode? Should I try and set the modem to bridge mode? that will require some tinkering in the dev tools but I know how its done.

Thanks for all ur feed back guys, have a merry xmas!

Omega, you have to use it as a router and not an AP unless your modem is handling DHCP. Without something handling DHCP, your network isn't going to function properly. If your modem is DHCP capable and handling DHCP, then yes you can set the router to AP mode. You'll probably have to setup your extender again as well.

Back
Top Bottom