Upgrade or New Build?

It's kind of a tough choice depending on what you want to spend, You could get an AMF FX 8320 for $140 and overclock it a lot since you have a premium mobo, or spend $240+ on an intel. It's really up to you. Both would be an improvement, but until then you should have some fun overclocking your X4 955!

Last edited:
$189 for a 4440 which would do the trick, and only requires the use of an H81 board which can be had usually for less than 50 bucks. At this point it's pretty pointless to invest in the older AMD platform.

If my gf wasn't on my Phenom 2 machine I'd take a look at how much an overclock would really help in Arma3 in his case with a 970. I still have a feeling that even at 4Ghz it wouldn't make much of a difference.

I can't even overclock it by much.

The stock speed is 3.2 with the stock HS+FAN.
I can get 3.5-3.6 at 65 C under load. It is recommended I don't pass 62C on my 955 BE.

I looked, and it seems that intel performs much better for arma 3, but the problem is I would need new CPU+MOBO+RAM. Which if I want to see an improvement would be like 500$ easy.

Still Thanks!

I can get 3.5-3.6 at 65 C under load. It is recommended I don't pass 62C on my 955 BE.

I looked, and it seems that intel performs much better for arma 3, but the problem is I would need new CPU+MOBO+RAM. Which if I want to see an improvement would be like 500$ easy.

Still Thanks!

Your looking at the brand new Intel Skylake CPUs and DDR4, these are very expensive, you can get great performance with an Intel Haswell, whats your budget? you could get a good upgrade from spending roughly $250 or you could get an overclockable Intel that will last a you a few years at top quality.

Still Thanks!
You can take that chip to 80c with no issue.

Your looking at the brand new Intel Skylake CPUs and DDR4, these are very expensive, you can get great performance with an Intel Haswell, whats your budget? you could get a good upgrade from spending roughly $250 or you could get an overclockable Intel that will last a you a few years at top quality.
+1, I've said this I think 3 times already too. i5 4460 for $189 and an H81 board for about 50, retain your current RAM.

Hahaha the damn low Canadian dollar makes the prices seem so much more.

Can you recommend a solid board for the 4460/4690k/4790k?

Ohhh Canada. Budget on board?

I WAS thinking of picking up the 4690k for 325$ and maybe blow another 75$ on a board...

ALSO. I cleaned out the dust in the case, OC'd from 3.2 to 3.7 on a stock Heatsink and Fan and I'm getting about 60C while arma went from 10-15 frames to about 18-25. However I think the chip has limitations and they are below the threshold I want to play at.

EDIT: 3.7 Proved not to be stable. After 10 minutes the temp reached the 75C+ mark and the pc shut down to prevent damage.

So mo much for slightly better frames XD

Last edited:
I figured OCing wouldn't help much. You haven't been the only one to ask about Arma on these forums.

I just looked on Newegg.ca and man, no 4460 or 4440 wtf!
Idk for that price the 6600k is a better deal. Even if you have to get a cheap board just for the time being it won't need to be overclocked anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom