Replacing HDD with SSD in Dell laptop, worried about Windows activation ?

Multicore

In Runtime
I have recently ordered SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 512GB SATA III MZ-7KE512BW (not from newegg). It is expected on 30th Dec. I have a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series laptop. I plan to replace its 1TB HDD with the Samsung SSD. The laptop came with OEM Win8 & I upgraded to Win10 via internet. After the upgrade i will make a clean install of Win10 on the SSD via USB flash drive. I have some questions:

1. How to activate Win10 ?
(in case, if it asks for a activation key, since product key tools only show generic keys & what happens if it does not accept an OEM key)

2. Is this External Hard Drive Enclosure good enough to use the removed HDD ?
(need suggestions here, if there are better enclosures or if an all Aluminum enclosure is better for better heat dissipation)

3. Was it a good decision to go with Samsung PRO instead of Samsung EVO ? (in light of the fact that PRO is a bit expensive than EVO)

No point getting Pro over EVO, to answer that question.

Easiest way is to clone the drive then use Windows 10 reset option to make a clean install.

1. Just use the Media Creation tool to create a Win10 install disc, and install it. It will auto-activate once you're connected to the internet and matches your hardware ID to what you used when you first upgraded to Win10. Just skip the screen to enter in a product key during install.

2. Careful with cheapo enclosures - I've had bad luck with some in the past.

3. Like PP said, not much point in going Pro over EVO.

Thanks for the quick reply. Will try the clone & reset option (w/o selecting the Recover disk signature check box while cloning).

^ Clone shouldn't be necessary if you've already upgraded to Win10 and are planning to do a clean install anyway.

1.Thanks for mentioning the auto-activation. The laptop does not have an ODD, so will clean-install via USB flash drive. If it doesn't, will try the clone & reset option.

2. Any suggestions for enclosure ?
(cost of enclosure is nothing compared to the cost of data on the HDD contained within - I've read about those stories of bad luck)

3. Damn it !!! I could have saved $35 with EVO. Should have posted before :eek::mad::(:eek::omg:

Thanks, will get this since the other one is >$100.

Also, could you suggest any tips or article to get the most out of the SSD, while also taking care of its health/life ?

Back
Top Bottom