computer turns on and off and on again

aasim

Solid State Member
I just built a new pc today. It is turning on for 10 sec and off then on again for 10 sec and off and so on the cycle continues. The fans turn on and the led on the mobo turn on too.

I have tried removing memory, redoing all the wires. I don't know what is wrong. Please help

Gigabyte z97x gaming 5 mobo
2x8gb Kingston memory
Evga g2 750 watts
Msi r9 390
Intel core is 4670k

1. Are you absolutely positive you've connected everything properly? (i.e. GPU power cables?)

2. Is there any output on the screen when the PC is on? Or is the screen blank?

3. Have you tried each memory stick individually; and have you tried turning it on without the memory?

The screen is blank but the fans spin and the lights on the mobo turn on
Also I have tried removing the memory. Still same thing

The best way to test components is to have others on-hand that you know work. That's why I always have extra hardware even if I'm not immediately using it. I bought a motherboard back in June and found out it was the problem by trying the power supply I thought was the issue on a different machine.

It sounds like you either have a defective motherboard or a narcoleptic power supply. I'd say it's more likely that your motherboard is the problem since there is no output on the graphics. But; since that GPU requires its own power from a cable, it also could be the PSU. Since you're clearly comfortable assembling computers, do you own another PC that you could swap the new PSU into? As long as you know it's perfectly able to power the other computer; you'll know then and there whether or not it's the problem.

Ya I have another psu in my other pc. But this psu also powers up and the fan on it spins

Doesn't matter if it turns on and the fan is spinning; if it's defective and not putting out enough power because of that, your PC isn't going to turn on properly. Hell, no PC it's hooked up to will turn on properly. Bad components are bad components no matter how insignificant of a defect they have. It only takes one bad capacitor to completely cripple an electrical device.

Since you do have a second computer; swap your new PSU into it and see if it will power on properly. As long as it doesn't require more power than your new computer (which I seriously doubt it would..), it should power on the other computer. If it works in the second computer but not in the first, your new motherboard is the problem.

Reseat CPU the new thermal paste. Make sure it's clamped down correctly with the cooler.

And try 1 RAM at a time and boot with built in GPU.

Let me know if that helps

Last edited:
Check for an extra stand off behind the mother board. If there is one that is not being used, it needs to be removed.

Back
Top Bottom